Senior Fiduciary Legal Analyst, Vanguard Retail Investor Group
To support its growing Retail business lines, the Office of General Counsel seeks a Senior Fiduciary Legal Analyst to provide legal support to investment advisory and trustee services provided by Vanguard National Trust Company ("VNTC"). Additionally, the Senior Legal Analyst would provide legal support to specialty retail client divisions working with ultra-high net worth clients, family offices, and fiduciary matters involving trusts and estates, powers of attorney, guardian and conservatorships, senior and vulnerable investor protection, and transfers of decedents' assets to heirs. In light of this focus, the ideal candidate would possess knowledge of fiduciary law, including trusts and estates. The Senior Fiduciary Legal Analyst will also support the corporate governance function for VNTC, including preparation of materials for the VNTC Board of Directors. As a partner to Vanguard's compliance team supporting regulatory examinations and related oversight, experience with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency ("OCC") and federal banking laws is helpful, but not required. The ideal candidate would possess a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in financial services or in a government agency or law firm. A paralegal degree or equivalent training and experience is preferred. The Senior Fiduciary Legal Analyst would join a team of attorneys and legal analysts that provide support to all of Vanguard's retail business lines.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Support and develop key relationships with Vanguard's Retail Investor Group, which provides investment services and products to retail clients. Specific retail business areas and matters supported by this role include investment advisory and trustee services provided by Vanguard National Trust Company ("VNTC"), ultra-high net worth clients, family offices, and fiduciary matters involving trusts and estates, powers of attorney, guardian and conservatorships, senior and vulnerable investor protection, and transfer of decedents' assets to heirs.
- Work with compliance colleagues to support OCC examinations and related oversight.
- Support the corporate governance function for VNTC and facilitate preparation of materials for the VNTC Board of Directors. Includes participation as recording secretary of various committees of the trust company.
- Provides high quality services to internal clients by being responsive to their questions and concerns, providing prompt turnarounds of work products, and providing thorough analyses of issues.
- Conducts meetings, seminars, and presentations with client groups and management staff, as needed, to provide education, advice, and/or training with respect to various legal issues and related procedures, including state fiduciary laws and federal banking regulations.
- Conducts factual and/or legal research as necessary to support the needs and initiatives of the Legal Department.
- Drafts various legal documents, as necessary, such as nonjudicial settlement agreements for corporate trustee appointments and terminations, service agreements (e.g., for investment advisory and other services provided for retail investors), regulatory filings, memoranda, position statements, correspondence and other documents and instruments.
- Ensures that matters implicating areas across the Legal Department are adequately addressed by recognizing issues when they arise, bringing those issues to the right people in the Department; and where necessary, coordinating responses to the business units to ensure that all legal concerns are addressed in a clear and consistent manner.
- Develops an understanding of the law, Vanguard's business, and the mutual fund and asset management industry through attendance at functions discussing our business, keeping current on industry and regulatory developments affecting our business, fostering an interest in Vanguard's initiatives and new services and products offered, and researching applicable law, reading legal publications, and/or attending legal seminars.
- Advances the Legal Department's other projects, endeavors and standards by maintaining the Legal Department's standards (through work ethic, responsiveness to clients, attitude, adherence to the Vanguard Code of Ethics and exercise of good judgment), initiating and implementing new projects as necessary or appropriate, and supporting the Department's contingency efforts.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- The ideal candidate would possess a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in financial services or in a government agency or law firm.
- Undergraduate degree, or equivalent training and experience.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to function in a deadline oriented and fast paced environment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with all levels of Vanguard crew and management.
You should be aware this will designate you as a
Fund Access Person
and carries with it certain responsibilities and restrictions. For more information see the following article.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Back to top