Senior Estate and Trust Attorney
Vanguard, one of the world’s leading financial companies and a recognized employer of choice seeks a Senior Estate and Trust Attorney to help grow the advice business and expand existing client relationships by providing high quality trust and estate planning services.
Wealth and Estate Planning Services is a part of our Retail Advice Methodology department. We serve Vanguard’s clients by conducting client consultations with a scope that includes estate planning, financial planning, and income tax planning. We also support the on-going development and training of Vanguard’s financial advisors by providing training content, in-house seminars and webcasts, while partnering with the advisors to provide value added touch points with their clients.
The Wealth and Estate Planning Services team is comprised of tenured individuals with professional designations in legal, tax, and financial planning. The team is group oriented to solving client issues and often collaborates with one another to serve Vanguard’s clients.
The Senior Estate and Trust Attorney will support the growth of the advice business and expand existing client relationships by providing high quality trust and estate planning services to our Ultra High Net Worth (UHNW) clients.
More specifically the role will encompass the following:
- Conducts estate planning and tax analysis for the most complex client situations. Leverages broad-based knowledge of wealth management and planning topics to develop solutions to highly complex client financial situations. Develops subsequent reports for client presentations.
- Provides consultation services for Retail Advice clients and prospects with highly complex financial situations. Determines whether trust instruments and other entities are suitable planning alternatives to meet desired objectives. Analyzes the client’s circumstances and objectives and makes appropriate recommendations to address the client’s needs. Educates clients with respect to estate and trust planning matters.
- Assists in developing the strategic direction for the group’s service delivery model. Provides input and recommendations to the group manager regarding service improvements and enhancements. Leads initiatives, or assigned portion of initiatives, to drive changes and enhancements to the service delivery model.
- Performs due diligence reviews of trust instruments (successor trusteeships) to ensure future accounts are suitable and prudent. Utilizes advanced knowledge of legal concepts to manage Vanguard’s risk by reviewing highly complex legal documents and rejecting unsuitable instruments (e.g., documents too ambiguous or administratively burdensome, legal or regulatory impediments).
- Works with attorneys and client’s other outside advisors to make necessary modifications to improve suitability of prospective trusteeships where necessary. Identifies opportunities to enhance probability that client’s objectives will be met (e.g., alternative tax reduction strategy).
- Provides estate and trust expertise for the internal partners. Partners with financial advisors to provide preliminary review and approval of estate planning correspondence and reports.
- Serves as a corporate resource to provide subject matter expertise for articles and electronic medium that appear in Vanguard publications; presents as senior wealth planner on estate and trust planning for Vanguard webcasts; and provides training to internal crew.
- Proactively partners with the Financial Advisor/Relationship Manager to identify consultative opportunities and to further consult with our partners to develop an appropriate strategy to develop the client relationships.
The Ideal Candidate should possess:
- Juris Doctorate required. LL.M a plus.
- Minimum eight years estate planning or trust experience, including UHNW client relationship management experience.
- Proven ability to think and perform strategically, bringing innovative solutions to complex UHNW client or prospect situations.
- Proven ability to practice discretion in confidential matters.
- Proven ability to effectively communicate with external professional advisors, clients and other crew members at all levels.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Broad knowledge of Vanguard funds in addition to the mutual fund industry in general preferred.
- Some travel required.
Note: Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position. Additionally, employment is contingent on a successful drug-screening result.
Back to top