Senior Engineer - DevOps
This position supports Vanguard's Retail business area. Specifically, you will join a team that is helping us establish a DevOps culture working closely with operations and application delivery teams to migrate appropriate applications to AWS; Automating on-premises infrastructure and application provisioning; and developing IT-for-IT applications. The ideal candidate will have at least two years of web development experience and a working knowledge of some of the following tools: Subversion, Maven, Jenkins, Nexus, Bitbucket (Git), JIRA, Confluence, Bamboo, Ansible, CloudFormation, Troposhpere, Docker, Kubernetes, and OpenShift.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides senior level system analysis, design, development, and implementation of applications and databases for client/server-, Web-, and/or PC-based software or middleware. Integrates third party products.
- Translates technical specifications, and/or logical and physical design into code for new or enhancement projects for internal clients. Develops code and test artifacts that reuse subroutines or objects, is well structured, backed by automated tests, includes sufficient comments and is easy to maintain. Writes programs, appropriate test artifacts, ad hoc queries, and reports. Employs contemporary software development techniques to ensure tests are implemented in a way that supports automation.
- Elevates code into the development, test, and Production environments on schedule. Provides follow up Production support. Submits change control requests and documents.
- Thoroughly understands software development methodology. Thoroughly understands architecture standards. Trains and mentors staff with less experience. Resolves issues elevated from staff with less experience.
- Participates in design, code, and test Inspections throughout life cycle to identify issues. Explains technical considerations at related meetings, including those with internal clients.
- Performs systems analysis, including system requirements analysis and definition (e.g., prototyping), and logical and physical design.
- Writes the system/technical portion of assigned deliverables. Assists technical team members with the system/technical portion of their deliverables (e.g., systems testers, test plans). On small teams, the developer may write these items.
- Thoroughly understands client business functions and technology needs. Has a broad understanding of Vanguard's technologies, tools, and applications, including those that interface with business area and systems.
- Is highly functional on large, matrixed project teams. Interfaces with cross functional team members, including database administrator, IT security, project manager, technical writer, and clients. Communicates systems issues at the appropriate technical level for each audience.
- Thoroughly understands and complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established milestones. Thoroughly understands and complies with all Information Security policies and procedures, and verifies deliverables meet Information Security requirements.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience.
- 5 years developer or systems analyst experience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong, demonstrated analysis and problem solving skills.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Advanced knowledge of the following development practices and concepts:
- Production acceptance, including elevations and change management.
- Interfaces, feeds, and event schedules.
- Quality assurance methodology and Inspections.
- Use case standards.
- Systems analysis and design techniques.
- System/subsystem requirements.
- Libraries, reusable code, and/or object oriented standards.
- Screen, report, and query design.
- Advanced knowledge of current versions of the following products:
- Microsoft Office Suite.
- Advanced knowledge of one or more IT platforms:
- Demonstrate a track record of strong database and data access analysis, design and implementation skills/capabilities.
- Weekday coverage: Regularly scheduled 5-day week, Mon. - Fri., normal business hours.
- On-call and remote support off hours: See additional information for the specific requirements for this posting.
- Travel: For Charlotte, NC-based staff, limited travel to Valley Forge, PA is required for new employee orientation, project kickoff meetings, other meetings, and training.
- Works on critical business applications/databases with the largest numbers of interfaces and users.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Shelley produces creative recruitment marketing campaigns in order to share Vanguard’s brand, mission, events and culture with new talent in the industry.
Back to top