Senior Data Analyst (Internal Audit)
Vanguard, one of the world's largest investment management companies and a recognized employer of choice, seeks a Data Analyst to perform complex data extraction and analysis to help Vanguard identify and manage risk to its business and investors. This individual will be part of a Data Analytics team which resides within Vanguard's internal audit department – a critical line of defense for the organization. The internal audit department is comprised of hard-working, highly motivated, and technically skilled professionals who consistently deliver high-quality work in a dynamic environment. The department fosters mobility throughout the organization and is viewed as a source of future leaders across the organization. The department promotes a flexible and well-balanced work environment. The Data Analyst will consult with the Internal Audit teams to design and deliver analytics that increase the assurance of the audits while also providing insight into the operating effectiveness of the control environment. Individuals in this role demonstrate professional curiosity, have a consultative mindset, strong problem solving skills, an ability to visualize analyzed data and familiarity with databases and data extraction techniques.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Consults with Auditors to develop and apply data analysis strategies (ex. regression, data visualization, benchmarking, hypothesis testing) to enhance audits. Responsible for writing complex programs, ad hoc queries, and reports. Ensures that all code is developed in a well structured manner, includes sufficient comments, and is easy to maintain and reuse.
- Documents project deliverables, including DARs, program descriptions, run sheets, job schedules, etc. following team guidelines.
- Leads design, code, and verification phases. Explains technical considerations at related meetings, including those with internal clients and less experienced team members. Verifies code thoroughly for accuracy of intended purpose.
- Engages with audit teams and stakeholders to understand each business question. Probes for hidden questions and goals. Brings structure to each request and translates requirements into an analytic approach.
- Understands and enforces team guidelines. Mentors staff with less experience. Resolves issues elevated from staff with less experience.
- Manages data analytic learning needs of Internal Audit teams. Conducts learning sessions on tools and data sources used by the team. Provides job aids to team members and business users.
- Acts as the liaison between Internal Audit and IT.
- Understands, complies with and enforces team policies and procedures, especially those for data analysis initiatives. Understands and complies with all Internal Audit and Information Security policies and procedures.
- Manages assignment of engagements and prioritization of audit assignments with audit leaders.
- Manages and/or participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Minimum of five years audit, analysis or developer experience.
- Knowledge of analysis practices and concepts (for example: CAAT, trend analysis, reasonability analysis, and regression analysis).
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong, demonstrated analysis and problem solving skills.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Advanced knowledge of ETL (Extract, Transform, and Load) and data visualization tools.
- Advanced knowledge of one or more of the following tools and programming languages including: ACL, COBOL, SAS, FOCUS, SQL, EasyTrieve, JCL, UNIX, Excel, Access and / or Tableau
- Extensive experience using one or more of the following data sources: Enterprise, VAST, VISTA, COMPASS, VPAS, AS/400
- Relevant certification is a plus (e.g., CPA, CISA, CIA, CISSP, or ACDA).
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Shelley produces creative recruitment marketing campaigns in order to share Vanguard’s brand, mission, events and culture with new talent in the industry.
Back to top