Senior Corporate Governance Strategist
Vanguard, one of the world’s largest investment management companies and a recognized employer of choice, seeks a Senior Corporate Governance Strategist. Vanguard is based on a simple but revolutionary idea—that a mutual fund company should be managed in the sole interest of its investors. To ensure that the interests of investors always come first, Vanguard is owned by the Vanguard funds, which in turn are owned by the investors. We’re still the only company structured this way. Today, we state our mission broadly: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.Department OverviewThe Corporate Governance team manages thought leadership, portfolio company engagement, and proxy voting operations on behalf of Vanguard’s global equity holdings. In the last year, the team held more than 800 engagement discussions with companies and voted at more than 16,000 shareholder meetings. Vanguard’s voice on corporate governance carries considerable weight because of our significant ownership of companies globally and our reputation for thoughtful engagement on complex issues. As a part of our duty to fund shareholders, we use our voice and our votes to maximize the long-term value of the investments held by our funds. We do this by advocating for the highest standards of corporate governance, as well as policies and practices at the board level that we believe will enhance value. To deliver on our responsibilities, Vanguard evaluates companies’ policies and practices in the context of our governance principles and guidelines.
The landscape of our corporate governance responsibilities – and topics to be addressed – grows more interesting and complex each year. This externally facing role offers the unique opportunity to lead a team of analysts, drive Vanguard’s growing engagement agenda for companies in select sectors, and contribute to the research and thought leadership underlying our corporate governance program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads direct engagements with the funds’ portfolio companies, managing discussions with senior company representatives (e.g., board members, senior management) to communicate Vanguard’s perspectives on key issues and advocate for corporate governance best practices.
- Serves as a thought leader on global corporate governance. Informs Vanguard’s perspective on key corporate governance and stewardship issues to enhance the long-term value of the funds’ investments.
- Manages a team of corporate governance analysts; creates an environment that is conducive to teamwork, and motivates a highly competent, driven and productive unit. Assists analysts with complex governance issues, consistent with board-approved guidelines and principles. Leads and is accountable for proxy voting research, analysis and communication outcomes for all companies in a given sector and / or region of funds’ portfolio companies.
- Develops and maintains key internal stakeholder relationships to ensure appropriate strategic alignment and coordination on corporate governance topics. (e.g., Investment Management, Public Relations, Government Relations, Legal and Compliance)
- Maintains a high level of expertise with respect to corporate governance matters, Vanguard’s business, and the mutual fund industry by participating in industry events, corporate initiatives, and researching/reading about current events. Is viewed as a corporate governance thought leader at Vanguard and in industry, effectively representing Vanguard’s views and approach to key stakeholders.
- Contributes thought leadership, research, and other content in support of Vanguard’s global Corporate Governance communication efforts with clients, shareholders, regulators, and the media.
- Facilitates internal training on Vanguard’s global Corporate Governance program. Ensures that new policies and/or policy changes are communicated in a clear, concise manner.
- Undergraduate degree. An advanced degree (JD, MBA, or other) and/or CFA preferred.
- Minimum of ten years of progressive industry experience, with a demonstrated track record of engaging with senior leaders within the investment management, investment consulting, or corporate governance communities.
- Demonstrated experience managing, developing and coaching people.
- Exceptional leadership, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and project management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking and presentation abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to persuade and influence others both inside and outside to the organization.
- Keen attention to detail while working independently and under time constraints.
- Demonstrated record of initiative and career advancement and the ability to work independently at a high level.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Back to top