Senior Compliance Analyst – Institutional
To provide Compliance support for various business areas performing Full Service Retirement Plan Recordkeeping functions, primarily through guidance and oversight related to regulated activities for the Institutional Investor Group (IIG) division, which services institutional clients, consultants, plan sponsors and participants.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as a trusted advisor to the Institutional Division and a point of contact for IIG senior leadership. Works collaboratively with IIG management, primarily with Participant Services, Recordkeeping Services, and Client Services on participant and plan sponsor issues as they relate to defined contribution qualified and nonqualified retirement plans. Develops policies, procedures, and controls designed to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Provides advice and guidance in connection with people, process, technology, and regulatory changes. Assists the business with the resolution of issues.
- Leads, manages, and participates in compliance oversight efforts and projects across the IIG division to protect Vanguard's reputation. Manages and continually improves the IIG Compliance Programs. Utilizes risk management techniques and business area knowledge to develop, maintain and test relevant policies and procedures. Handles multiple assignments simultaneously from conception through execution and implementation of recommendations. Coordinates, prioritizes and actively manages tasks as needed to meet deadlines.
- Presents key findings and recommendations to business management and Compliance management. Elevates issues and identifies priorities. Tracks follow-up items to ensure they are appropriately resolved. Demonstrates initiative and creativity in independently recommending and implementing solutions to business contacts, senior leaders, and the Chief Compliance Officer.
- Develops, maintains, and broadens effective working relationships across Vanguard and with regulatory agencies. Fosters lines of communication between, and with, business leaders, the Legal Department, Compliance Department colleagues, global partners, and other risk and control groups. Coordinates activities and efforts as required with other Compliance teams and global partners.
- Maintains a deep knowledge and awareness of the investment industry and regulatory and/or policy changes with potential impact on compliance monitoring or reporting as it relates to retirement plan administration. Stays abreast of current market, regulatory and industry relevant news. Serves as a technical expert on compliance requirements impacting Institutional (Retirement Plan) Asset Management and Full Service Recordkeeping for qualified and nonqualified defined contribution and defined benefit retirement plans, including regulations under ERISA, the Internal Revenue Code, the Department of Labor (DOL), and the Pennsylvania Banking Code for trust companies. Develops a deep understanding of the related business areas, including applicable systems and software.
- Prepares board reports and other applicable management reporting, identifies and tracks key measures and metrics, and designs presentations to facilitate senior management discussions.
- Participates in developing and delivering training and education to the business, including presentations at staff meetings and formal Vanguard University trainings.
- Leads, manages, coordinates, and ensures readiness for regulatory examinations, responds to regulatory inquiries and requests, and serves as a contact for certain regulators, such as the U.S. Department of Labor. As appropriate, acts as a liaison with regulators and impacted business areas by preparing for meetings and coordinating the gathering and production of requested documents in connection with examinations or other regulatory inquiries.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience required. Graduate degree preferred.
- Minimum five years business experience. Regulatory, compliance, investment, or auditing experience preferred.
- Broad understanding of Vanguard's business and the investment industry; knowledge of and experience with ERISA, IRS and DOL, and the Pennsylvania Department of Banking regulations as they relate to retirement plans preferred.
- Excellent relationship management skills, including ability to interact with individuals at various levels internal and external to the company.
- Demonstrated ability to function in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment while managing multiple and diverse responsibilities.
- Proven ability to develop and implement new business plans or change direction in a dynamic environment.
- Excellent judgment and decision-making skills; ability to analyze and respond to issues.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with and experience in using relevant systems and applications, as applicable.
The position is considered a "Fund Access Person" position under Vanguard's Code of Ethics (Refer to CrewNet); employees holding FINRA licenses (e.g., FINRA series 6, 7, 26, 24) may be permitted to retain them; and, some travel for trainings, seminars and global coordination may be required
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Shelley produces creative recruitment marketing campaigns in order to share Vanguard’s brand, mission, events and culture with new talent in the industry.
Back to top