Senior Cloud Data Architect
Provide technical leadership for major data strategies enabling Vanguard to advance architecture success with public cloud adoption. The senior Architect would help guide the technical architecture for projects such as data replication, metadata, DBaaS, data modeling for the Data Lake and data security. Shaping an architecture to meet the needs of cloud data architecture will be the primary technical objective of the role. Position is responsible for overseeing Vanguard's cloud computing strategy.
Expert knowledge of database technology is also key for the role as architecture support for legacy DBMSs (especially Oracle and DB2) which will remain a feature of workloads that don't move to public cloud. Advanced knowledge of NoSQL and Graph databases, Hadoop and ETL technologies will be needed to design overall data platform designs.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provides the architectural leadership in shaping strategic technology programs, which focus on both Business of IT (e.g.,Unified Communication, SOI) and LOB-specific (e.g., Institutional Recordkeeping Modernization) strategic technology programs.
- Continuously pursues advanced level technical acumen:
- Establishes working relationships with strategic and boutique technology providers.
- Leverages knowledge capital available through subscription research services.
- Leverages the Internet as a critical resource for related knowledge capital, inclusive of blogs, podcasts, webinar, etc.
- Attends conferences and engages in associated activities (e.g., conducting presentations, leading workshops, etc.).
- Consumes and contributes content from and to Open Source communities.
Provides architecture thought leadership and expertise.
Defines reference and implementation architectures.
Produces technology roadmaps in support of IT's vision and strategy.
Develops proof-of-concept prototypes and initial implementation models.
Monitors implementation activity to ensure architecture and design principles are upheld.
Ensures implementation solutions support architecture objectives (availability, scalability, performance, security, etc.), as appropriate.
Utilizes advanced leadership skills especially in the areas of persuasion, influence, conceptualizing solutions and problem solving.
Communicates complicated technical concepts effectively to a broad group of stakeholders.
Establishes relationships with IT leaders, architects, and technical specialists for the purpose of advancing proposed architectural solutions.
Coaches and mentors more junior enterprise architects.
Utilizes a general understanding of the competitive landscape and corporate and business unit strategies to provide context for architectural decision making.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of training and experience. Graduate degree preferred.
- Minimum eight years relevant work experience.
- Experience with Hadoop and EMR
- Strong database and cloud expertise, along with experience with data replication technology required
- Strong knowledge of micro-services and DDAAS required
- Cloud knowledge with AWS preferred
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Shelley produces creative recruitment marketing campaigns in order to share Vanguard’s brand, mission, events and culture with new talent in the industry.
Back to top