Senior Brokerage Regulatory Accountant
To collect, maintain and develop accurate financial information used for internal accounting, external regulatory reporting and tax reporting. To maintain effective internal controls and work closely with business unit counterparts to optimize efficiency of corporate accounting process.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Prepares the weekly Customer Reserve calculation in accordance with SEA rule 15c3-3. Ensures accuracy of figures through analysis of BETA and Specialty Brokerage Operation (SBO) reports. Identifies significant variances compared to prior calculations. Conducts weekly meetings with SBO management to review variances and other material items impacting the Reserve.
2. Prepares the monthly FOCUS report to be filed with FINRA, including Vanguard Marketing Corporation’s (VMC) Net Capital calculation prepared in accordance with SEA rule 15c3-1, Balance Sheet, Income Statement, and Operational Data information. Ensures accuracy of figures through analysis of BETA and SBO reports. Identifies and researches critical month over month variances and documents findings. Conducts a monthly meeting with the Financial Operations Principal (FINOP) to review variances and other material items impacting the FOCUS.
3. Prepares additional quarterly regulatory reports including the Supplemental Statement of Income (SSOI) and Off Balance Sheet Report (OBS). Prepares quarterly Form Custody report in conjunction with the SBO Stock Record Group. Identifies and researches critical variances and documents findings. Conducts a quarterly meeting with the FINOP to review variances and other material items impacting the reports.
4. Prepares quarterly Certification Packet consisting of full financials, footnotes, executive summaries of the balance sheet and income statement, and select variance analyses. Reviewed and signed off by the CFO of VMC, the Assistant Controller, and the FINOP for VMC.
5. Completes month end close for VMC. Compiles, reviews, and approves journal entries in the People Soft system, while coordinating efforts with the Enterprise Support group, Corporate Accounting teams, and SBO.
6. Identifies and manages risk as it pertains to broker dealer operations. Ensures VMC has established adequate internal controls to prevent/detect non-compliance in a timely basis. Develops strong working relationships with Compliance and Legal to review current controls and establish new controls in the ever-changing regulatory environment.
7. Works with PriceWaterhouseCoopers (PWC) during the annual financial statement audit. Analyzes, and prepares documents/information with the auditors, including full audited financials to be bound and sent to regulators and other interested third parties. Answers all auditor inquiries. Leads PWC during Compliance exam, which is conducted in conjunction with the financial statement audit.
8. Provides support for VMC during annual regulatory audits with FINRA and the SEC when present. Works with Compliance, Legal, and SBO to respond timely and accurately to all exam requests within tight deadlines. Participates in exam meetings with regulators.
9. Builds strong working relationships with SBO management and the administrators of all SBO teams. Develop an understanding of each department and their impact on VMC and the financial statements/regulatory requirements.
10. Completes VMC account reconciliations in accordance with established deadlines. Identifies reconciling items and proposes plan for resolution. Compiles and organizes all required work papers.
11. Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree (Accounting/Finance preferred) or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Minimum three years related experience (Self-clearing brokerage experience preferred).
- Demonstrated accounting/finance background.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with internal and external partners and clients.
- Thorough knowledge of U.S. GAAP, internal controls, general ledger account analysis and reconciliation.
- Strong MS Office / PC skills.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication/presentation skills.
- Strong problem identification and resolution skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of Vanguard’s financial policies preferred.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Back to top