Senior Accounting Policy Specialist
Provide leadership on understanding and implementing complex accounting and regulatory guidance for the Vanguard Group Inc., its subsidiaries, and the Vanguard Mutual Funds, as applicable, and collaborate with the accounting operations team in the implementation of those policies across entities. To engage with external parties on accounting and regulatory proposals and rules that impact the industry. To monitor consistent application across entities, ongoing updates, and communication and documentation of accounting policies.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership on implementation of ambiguous and/or complex accounting and reporting policies.
- Interface with external parties on assessing the impact of accounting and regulatory guidance, through involvement in industry committees and industry discussions.
- Assist the Heads of Fund and Corporate Accounting Policy in drafting comment letters and preparing for attendance at industry events.
- Build out strategy for new Fund and Corporate Accounting Policy teams.
- Formally document complex accounting policies and business issues, supporting positions taken and, if applicable, identify differences between US GAAP (including SEC and other regulatory reporting regulations), IFRS and IFRS equivalents.
- Communicate conclusions to accountants, management and external auditors.
- Provide subject matter expertise to internal business clients on the application of more complex accounting policies.
- Monitor upcoming accounting standards and upcoming financial reporting regulations promulgated by US GAAP (including SEC and other regulatory reporting regulations), IFRS and IFRS equivalents.
- Communicate new standards and rules of a more complex nature, and the potential impact on Vanguard, to accountants and management.
- Lead efforts to develop, update and present accounting training courses to accounting staff and management.
- Develop and maintain an understanding of legal and accounting relationships between The Vanguard Group, Inc., its subsidiaries, and the Vanguard Mutual Funds.
- Undergraduate degree (in accounting or finance). CPA, and MS/MBA highly preferred or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Minimum of ten years related experience in an accounting and financial reporting environment.
- Involvement in relevant industry committees and working groups.
- Strong understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and International Accounting Standards (IAS).
- Strong technical accounting and analytical skills.
- Ability to function in a high volume/fast paced environment working with multiple and diverse responsibilities.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills/presentation skills.
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint software.
- Strong problem identification and resolution skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with internal and external clients.
- Ability to interact effectively with senior management as well as various levels of staff and management across the organization.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Shelley produces creative recruitment marketing campaigns in order to share Vanguard’s brand, mission, events and culture with new talent in the industry.
Back to top