Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) Testing Strategy Lead
The Finance division is home to crew and leaders who drive sustainable value across the global enterprise. Our high caliber professionals serve as trusted and influential strategic partners to business leaders across the organization in the areas of financial modeling, fiscal responsibility, product development and administration, risks and controls, real estate and facilities management, and enterprise supply management
Our strong focus on value creation across the enterprise is equaled by our unwavering commitment to creating a culture and environment that maximizes the impact and potential of crew, and develops future generations of leaders in the organization.
Vanguard's Finance division is a talent destination for exceptional financial professionals looking to be part of a best-in-class organization that is one of Vanguard's most trusted voice. Vanguard is currently seeking a Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) Testing Strategy Lead. This individual will lead the core testing team that is responsible for testing the design and operating effectiveness of the key SOX controls and oversight of Vanguard's SOX program in collaboration with enterprise-wide Control Owners for both in-scope business process and technology areas. Develops, manages and refines testing strategy, identifies and assesses control deficiencies, reviews audit work papers, assists in the remediation of the deficiencies, assists in the scoping determination of process areas and controls, and reports results to the Head of Vanguard's SOX Governance Office. Partners with senior management in Finance, Internal Audit, IT Risk & Controls, Enterprise Risk Management, and other business leaders across the divisions, to maintain an effective control environment; enabling a robust controls based financial reporting process. Also, manages the relationship with internal consulting partners assisting in the SOX testing efforts, and coordinates testing approach and reliance efforts with external auditor.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Manage staff, creating a strong team atmosphere. Conduct regular one-on-one meetings and provide guidance, and technical training on Sarbanes-Oxley methodology to develop staff. Hire, evaluate and coach crew and consistently raises standards. Follow corporate performance management procedures per established Vanguard standards. Set performance standards, review performance, provide feedback, and recommend wage increases in accordance with all applicable Human Resources policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the core team who manages the testing of Vanguard's SOX program on a daily basis. Ensures appropriate ongoing execution of activities to test key controls for both design adequacy and operating effectiveness for both ITGC and business process areas. Manages the relationship with the consulting partner to coordinate additional testing efforts.
- Assists with the periodic certifications of key control related to Vanguard's financial statement with various levels of the management within Vanguard including (Control Owners, Process Owners, and Officers).
- Ensures team establishes relationships with the four lines of defense (e.g. business areas, ERM, EDGP, Info. Security, Contingency, ITGC, Internal Auditor and External Auditor - PwC). Aligns methodology with external auditor and current guidance. Partners with the business and SOX Center for Excellence to address control deficiencies.
- Coordinates work to perform annual scoping exercise to identify significant account within the financial statement reports in partnership with Accounting Operations. Ensures the team maintains relationships with business areas responsible for business changes that may impact Sarbanes-Oxley controls. Creates infrastructure to improve the optimization of Vanguard's control environment. Completes/updates business process assessments to determine control gaps and ensure documentation exists to evidence an effective control environment necessary for senior management to provide their opinion on the control environment.
- Stay abreast of changes in regulations to ensure Vanguard's compliance with SOX 404. Keeps current on technical guidance, such as requirements from the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board and COSO, and determine impact to Vanguard's SOX program. Ensures team maintains appropriate credentials (aligned with external audit standards) to assess, monitor and test financial reporting key controls.
- Serves as liaison with both internal and external auditors and plethora of other key stakeholders which include IT (and specifically IT Global Controls), Enterprise Risk Management, Identity Access Management, and various divisional Risk and Control teams. Partners with ERM and business control teams to rationalize controls inventory. Partners with Internal Audit to coordinate testing. Partners with external auditors to ensure Vanguard's SOX testing methodology is aligned their firm's methodology to maximize their ability to leverage.
- Supports the Head of the SOX Governance Office in influencing ongoing enterprise business planning and goal setting to ensure divisional priorities encourage continuous improvement of processes critical to financial reporting creating more robust controls.
- Engages with business leaders throughout the enterprise in promoting a controls mindset. Supports this effort through providing ongoing educational offerings on what it means to be a Process Owner and Control Owner. Provides guidance, training and motivation necessary to create risk and control awareness, ownership and accountability with business management and crew.
- Assists with the effort to enable and optimize the capabilities of a SOX GRC tool as the SOX technology solution essential to effectively facilitating the SOX program with the business teams.
- Coordinates activities and interact extensively across divisional lines.
- Manages and/or participates in special projects and cross-functional
- teams/initiatives as needed.
The ideal candidate should possess:
- Requires a bachelor's degree and specific experience in a Big 4 and/or public company environment. Minimum of fifteen years in a management role. SOX experience required.
- CPA, CIA, or CISA preferred
- Knowledge of SOX concepts, practices and procedures. Broad knowledge of risk, audit, controls (specifically financial controls; business and IT), fraud, and privacy.
- Ability to be highly proactive and advise on risks in a variety of business processes and provide internal control design guidance.
- Extensive track record in providing leadership by example (hands-on leader). Demonstrated leadership, motivational, engagement, team building and organizational skills.
- Strong impact and influence skills. The ability to effectively interact, network, and influence both internally and externally at all levels within an organization.
- Demonstrated program/project management, consulting and client relationship skills, analytical and problem solving skills. Persuade and influence business and senior management.
- People and performance management/development experience.
- Proven ability to develop and implement business plans or change direction of business plans.
- Along with strong leadership capabilities, this role requires technical knowledge of Sarbanes Oxley with the ability to execute a testing program in a complex and global environment.
- Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Back to top