Quantitative Research Analyst
The Quantitative Research Team is part of the Investment Management Group (IMG) and is located on the Fixed Income and Equity trading floors. The Quantitative Research Team is responsible for providing concrete and hands-on solutions to the investment process and risk management by employing quantitative and analytic methods that measure up to both intellectual rigor and pragmatic sense.
We are looking for a self-motivated, output-oriented individual with strong technical skills who is driven by an intellectual curiosity to understand the complexities of financial markets, pays close attention to detail and possesses a strong sense for resourcefulness and practicality. The individual will have the opportunity to be part of high-level meetings with senior members of IMG and have a direct impact on the company’s global strategy and success.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides analytical support to portfolio managers, traders, and risk managers on the risk, return and transaction cost/market impact of investment portfolios and strategies in fixed income, equity and other asset classes.
- Participates in quantitative research projects under the guidance of senior researchers that support investment decision processes, utilizing quantitative skills, such as time series regressions, simulation, and data visualization techniques.
- Develops and prototypes effective tools using technology including Matlab, R, Excel VBA and SQL, and Hadoop for trading, TCA and risk management that provides value to the investment processes.
- Creates reports and surveillance packages for daily usage on market color, investment return and risk, and TCA employing proprietary analytics that serve as an important input for investment decision making.
- Assists in the development of the data infrastructure for investment management, including market, portfolio and analytics data and TCA data. Looks for alternative and new sources of data and ensures the cleanliness and accuracy of data.
- Undertakes a variety of ad hoc analytical projects as needed to support risk and investment management.
- Undergraduate degree in a Quantitative major such as Finance, Computer Science / Engineering, Math or Statistics. Advanced degree (Masters and / or Ph.D. degree) preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience or equivalent combination of education/training.
- Strong technical and analytical skills a must.
- Working experience in and good understanding of capital markets and investment concepts preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Self-motivated with intellectual curiosity. Great team player with the ability to work independently.
- Proficiency in computer programming, such as Matlab, R, Python, SQL, VBA, SAS and Hadoop-related technologies.
- 3 positions available.
- Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
- This is considered a covered department under Vanguard’s Political Contribution and Fundraising Activity Policy and may be subject to greater restrictions than those set out in the policy. Prior to moving into this position you will be required to disclose all political contributions made within the last two years.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
RFP Specialist, CFP®
Megan is part of Vanguard’s Institutional Sales Group. She ensures that each and every information request is processed before being returned to a prospective client.
Back to top