Public Relations Specialist
To serve as a spokesperson and press representative, performing various media relations activities to support PR team and internal clients.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Responds promptly to daily inquiries from the news media – including wire services, blogger, financial websites, newspapers, and personal finance/business publications – and acts as an accessible, responsive, credible, quotable, and resourceful spokesperson. Handles incoming calls in a timely manner and provides clear, candid, and accurate statements and/or background information to the media. Employs persuasion and influence skills effectively to 1) maintain Vanguard’s image and reputation among media and shareholders; 2) promote Vanguard funds and services; 3) advance Vanguard’s identified business and communications goals.
- Develops and strengthens working relationships with members of the news media, as well as identifies and cultivates new press contacts. Maintains regular contact with members of the news media via phone, e-mail, mailings, and face-to-face encounters and visits. Plans and researches story ideas to proactively pitch to media representatives. Arranges interviews with executives, thought leaders, and portfolio managers, and fully and properly prepares Vanguard representative and media member for press engagements.
- Develops and maintains effective, strong, collaborative relationships with team members, internal business clients, investment management personnel, marketing personnel, members of senior staff, as well as external advisors, vendors, and clients, in order to develop, plan, and execute media activities.
- Interacts on a regular basis with business clients, marketing partners, and senior staff to understand strategy, priorities, and positioning. Develops specific plans to obtain positive media coverage of broad corporate priorities or specific business and marketing initiatives.
- Provides sound and reasoned counsel to management and business clients on public perception and business issues. Identifies media issues and develops strategies and tactics for obtaining positive media coverage and mitigating adverse publicity.
- Keeps abreast of media environment, industry trends, market activity, and regulatory changes and develops appropriate responses and materials in response.
- Researches and prepares press releases and other press materials, including statements, Q&As, backgrounders, pitches, fact sheets, press kits, bylined articles, and other materials that are highly professional, effective, creative, and accurate.
- Leads special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
The Ideal Candidate Should Possess:
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience required. Degree in English, journalism, marketing, communication or public relations preferred. Graduate degree in communications or business preferred.
- Minimum 5-10 years general business experience, with 5 years in public relations or related area performing similar responsibilities strongly preferred. 5-10 years of PR experience in the mutual fund or related industry preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and professional demeanor.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and independently on multiple projects.
- Demonstrated ability to explain complex subject matter in plain English.
- Knowledge of financial services industry, particularly mutual fund investing and financial markets.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work with various departments and levels of management including senior executives.
- Demonstrated ability to write quickly and meet deadlines.
- Willingness to “cover” corporate events outside usual business hours.
- Ability to work special hours and be on call 24 by 7.
- Limited travel from time to time.
- Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position. Additionally, employment is contingent on a successful drug screening result.
- You should be aware this position will designate you as a Fund Access Person and carries with it certain responsibilities and restrictions.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
RFP Specialist, CFP®
Megan is part of Vanguard’s Institutional Sales Group. She ensures that each and every information request is processed before being returned to a prospective client.
Back to top