To provide product ownership through all phases of the product life cycle while actively supporting critical Vanguard technology functions and maintaining a high level of understanding for Vanguard's business environment.
As the financial landscape grows and evolves, Vanguard's systems must remain state-of-the-art and keep pace with emerging technologies. Because we are a virtual company, our technology teams play a strong role in helping crew members to do their jobs effectively and efficiently, businesses to meet global objectives, and clients to receive elite service. We are currently seeking a Product Owner to drive technology solutions that enhance the value and experience we offer our investors.
The Product Owner role is ideal for those who wish to provide product ownership through all phases of the product life cycle, while actively supporting critical Vanguard technology functions. In this position, you'll spend your days collaborating in an encouraging, inclusive environment that welcomes diversity of thinking and input from all voices. Sharing knowledge with the product owner community will create positive relationships and initiate opportunities and innovation.
How you'll spend your days
As a Product Owner, you'll assume responsibility for a technology product from initiation through delivery. Developing product expertise through research, competitive analysis, and consumer needs, you'll share insights with team members and key stakeholders. Documenting product details and understanding dependencies and integration points across the product framework will enable you to serve as the main contact/expert for the product vision and help manage defects.
In this role, you will define business outcomes and will decide, in partnership with the development team, what to build and what not to build by prioritizing and adjusting the product backlog. To develop and adapt the product vision, you'll lead and actively participate in planning activities, document findings, identify business metrics, data, and reporting needs, as well as create opportunity for feedback, continuous product and process improvements, and capability validation. As the functional voice in the Specification driven development process, you'll help create the API Swagger documentation. In addition, you'll conduct release planning and support API elevations.
As the driver of Scrum meetings and sprint planning, you'll provide sprint goals and new user stories, give feedback during the sprint review, drive information and learning in the daily scrum, and reflect and take action during the sprint retrospective. The development team will also seek your expertise in specifying acceptance criteria for each user story, writing acceptance tests, and running Product Owner Acceptance Testing (POAT). Working in a test and learn environment, you'll lead a project team in the implementation of upgrades to existing services, capabilities, and processes.
- Undergraduate degree or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience, including successfully managing large projects from inception to completion.
- Established ability to manage and improve business processes.
- Ability to work independently.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to negotiate to consensus.
- Proven project-management skills and experience.
- Ability to generate creative approaches and solutions.
- Strong communication skills.
- PC proficiency.
- PMP Certification preferred.
- PMP Certification preferred.
- CFP Certification preferred.
- Familiarity with Vanguard's investment methodology and/or advice-related offerings a plus.
- Experience in a business technology or IT role; familiarity with Vanguard's technology processes a plus.
- Familiarity with strategic technology goals and trends such as continuous delivery, cloud computing, API economy, etc.
Flexibility to work beyond core business hours and early hours to support technology elevations as needed.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Additional Job Description
This is a product owner role for a software delivery team working on a strategic initiative. The product owner would be responsible for:
- Defining and managing priorities for the team, including new features, improvement of the technical architecture, and bug fixes.
- Owning and creating a product strategy and roadmap. Understanding business needs and market trends.
- Defining clear business outcomes and identifying business metrics, data, and reporting needs for the product.
- Owning product documentation/requirements, including API documentation.
- Conducting acceptance testing for the product.
- Coordination and communication with various business groups including stakeholders, SMEs, supporting functions, and consumers.
- Coordinating plans for consumer/end user integrations for the products/services delivered.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Brokerage Investment Professional, Malvern, PA
Claire ensures that Vanguard clients have all the important and necessary industry information in order to make the best decisions for their personal investments.
Back to top