Organization Effectiveness Consultant
Vanguard’s Organizational Consulting Services (OCS) group is a team of consultants helping senior executives (Managing Directors and their direct reports) consider and respond to the most pressing issues impacting Vanguard’s growth and success. In response to both market and internal challenges, OCS helps drive change initiatives to enact the corporate vision, improve business activities, drive efficiency and establish new business segments. The Organization Effectiveness Consultant engages with Vanguard executives to help them consider how to address these issues. These interactions generally result in a variety of OCS-led initiatives including business or department redesign, enterprise-wide transformation, and major project support. The Organization Effectiveness Consultant will lead or serve as a key member of the teams that deliver these projects.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Work with clients to assess the best-fit organization or operating model to ensure the business is positioned to execute its strategy and meet its stated goals
- Conduct current state organizational assessments to isolate strengths, challenges and opportunities to improve organization in response to evolving business strategies or environments
- Generate hypotheses to improve clients’ operating models, org structures and test hypotheses via a blend of qualitative analysis (e.g., client interviews) and quantitative analysis (e.g., spans and layers)
- Develop data-driven recommendations for future-state organization designs and associated enablers (e.g., decision rights, critical behaviors)
- Facilitate client group discussions on how to improve organizational effectiveness (e.g., ways of working, visioning sessions) and provide real-time consultation on potential solutions.
- Provide short-term, focused consultations to business leaders on common organizational and change-related challenges.
- Lead the specific elements (e.g., change management work stream, organizational analysis) of larger business transformation efforts and develop and deliver impactful, cohesive, and comprehensive recommendations.
- Assist in the development of transformation structures, approaches and work plans.
- Independently lead engagements of appropriate size, scope, and complexity.
- Collaborate with OCS colleagues, HR partners, and stakeholders across Vanguard to develop effective and coordinated approaches to address business issues.
- Tailor transformation, organization design, and change management solutions for specific client situations and challenges and develop associated deliverables.
- Promote the development of OCS colleagues through project work and professional experiences.
- Identify and support initiatives to further develop the OCS practice (e.g., contributions to OCS knowledge management and best practices).
Required Experience & Qualifications
Key Skills & Knowledge:
- Ability to identify strategic priorities and direction in complex and ambiguous circumstances
- Versatility to work across multiple subject matter domains and client groups
- Excellent consultative, presentation, and facilitation skills
- Superb problem solving skills; logical and analytical thinker
- Strong executive presence
- Proven teamwork capabilities; strong relationship management and interpersonal skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Attentive to details and deadlines; ability to manage multiple initiatives
- Strong project management, planning and organizational skills
- Ability to effectively work independently and identify when to engage others
- Experience in one or more of the following specialties: strategy consulting, management consulting, large-scale transformations, global operating models, organizational design, organizational effectiveness and change management
- Experience working closely with senior leadership
- Experience in client service and consultation
- Experience working with a global organization preferred
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of training and experience
- Advanced degree preferred
Recent OCS Projects:
- IT Vision: Help CIO consider how best to deliver enterprise-wide IT service to Vanguard’s global footprint. Project includes visioning, designing organizational structure; delivering organizational change project to move toward new structure.
- Globalization: Working with Vanguard’s senior-most leadership to develop and implement operating model guidelines for Vanguard’s growth outside the US. It has involved developing a system to clarify global vision, accountability, structure and leadership to ensure global organization evolves systematically moving forward.
- Aligning Resources with Business Objectives: Assortment of design projects across business areas with various aims, including: aligning Vanguard resource strategy to our service offering in 401k business and designing and implementing division level shared services functions in the retail and institutional businesses.
- Major Project Consultation: Efforts in IT, Finance, Security, Marketing, and other areas – serving as strategic change advisors on enterprise transformations that involve a combination of operating model redesigns, technology implementations, and merging or realigning functions.
- Other: Increased involvement in broad organizational effectiveness questions, including developing an offer in the assessment and intervention to enhance organizational climate, culture and engagement.
OCS consultants have a diverse mix of skills and experiences. Several current team members have been consultants with strategy firms (including BCG, Booz & Company and Deloitte), have deep expertise in advising senior level executives and experience in broader organizational effectiveness offerings. Most members of OCS have advanced degrees, including MBAs and PhDs.
Current Transformation Team with External Consulting Background
Nick joined OCS in March 2014. He came to Vanguard with three years of Management Consulting experience at Boston Consulting Group, where he supported clients in solving IT and organizational design challenges. Prior to joining BCG, Nick practiced law for three years. He holds a JD from Stanford University and an undergraduate degree in Industrial & Labor Relations from Cornell University.
Chris joined the OCS team at Vanguard in 2016. Prior to Vanguard, he spent five years at PwC, where he was a manager focused on technology strategy and operating model design based out of their New York office. Before consulting and graduate school, Chris served in the US Army as an air defense and space operations officer. Chris holds an MBA from the University of Michigan and a BS in Electrical Engineering from Lehigh University. Outside of work he enjoys spending time with his family, photography and woodworking.
Matt joined Vanguard in 2014, as the Business Readiness Lead for the myHR initiative, and transitioned to OCS in August 2015. He came to Vanguard from serving as a Principal Consultant at The North Highland Company where he spent seven years delivering consulting projects for some of the world’s largest Life Sciences, Financial Services, and Telecommunications firms and contributed to the development of the Firm’s Organizational Change Practice. He holds a B.S. in Engineering from Lehigh University and professional certification in change management. He enjoys playing soccer, travel and spending time with his family.
Sam joined Vanguard’s OCS team in 2015 after two years in the Strategy & Operations practice at Deloitte Consulting, where he worked as a Senior Consultant and Manager on several large transformations. He received his BS in Political Science and Government from Cornell University in 2007 and his MBA from Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business in 2013. In his spare time, he enjoys reading, running, playing golf and traveling. He is a native of Central New York (‘A Good Place To Be From’).
Came to Vanguard in 2015 from Gartner, an IT research and consulting firm, where she developed IT Strategies and organization structures for a variety of clients in a variety of industries. She is a proud graduate of the University of Virginia’s McIntire School of Commerce, holds certifications in project and change management, and enjoys travelling and spending time with her family in her spare time.
Torrey joined Vanguard and the HR Analytics (now People Analytics) team in 2012. Prior to Vanguard, Torrey worked as a consultant with Deloitte Consulting in their Washington, DC area practice. In late 2014, Torrey moved to Flagship Services to build the Internal Communications Function and lead change management for Flagship’s Service Model Optimization program. Torrey rejoined OCS in mid-2016 to get back to her first love: human capital analytics. Torrey earned her MA in Industrial / Organizational Psychology from George Mason University and her BA in Psychology from Grinnell College. Originally from Colorado, Torrey enjoys hiking and camping with her dog Tim and any friends she can rope into a wilderness adventure.
Back to top