The successful candidate will be responsible for engineering, administration, support of a large IBM MQ landscape; 300+ QueueManagers, 10,000 messaging objects in support of 100+ financial applications. They will work closely with Application development, Network, Security, Mainframe, Unix/Linux, and Windows administration teams. They will provide Level 3 support for questions and problems around messaging in the landscape described. Work with application development teams and service user requests for object definitions within an SLA. They will be proactive in identifying opportunities for improvement, particularly in the area of automation. The candidate will be knowledgeable and forward thinking in order to support the organization's goal of risk avoidance and resilience.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides senior level Tier 3 technical infrastructure support services for issues elevated from the Support Center and other Technical Services groups. Ensures reliable operation of production. Diagnoses and troubleshoots availability interruptions and other production issues.
- Plans and coordinates enterprise-wide infrastructure projects with other IT and client teams. Communicates with teams to keep them apprised of status and issues. Contacts vendors to resolve technical issues.
- Tests, installs, and migrates software, patches, upgrades, applications, and/or hardware.
- Develops technical standards. Tests and evaluates IT vendor products.
- Writes documentation, including project plans, installation procedures, and troubleshooting tips. Creates diagrams, including technical topology.
- Maintains, monitors, and tunes Production system and applications performance. Debugs source code and performance problems and/or provides debugging assistance to developers. Identifies opportunities to improve system and applications performance (e.g., automating manual system tasks).
- Trains and mentors staff. Resolves complex issues elevated from staff with less experience.
- Adds, updates, and closes IT Problem Management database records. Researches and resolves complex issues, and reviews related technology records to mitigate impact on assigned system.
- Reviews numerous IT knowledge repositories to update technical knowledge.
- Learns and understands client area business functions and requirements. Has the ability to determine the appropriate technical tool to address the client's business needs.
- Thoroughly understands and complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established client service levels. Thoroughly understands and complies with Information Security policies and procedures, and verifies deliverables meet Information Security and VSA requirements.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
Key responsibilities include:
- Managing infrastructure incidents to resolution within the required OLA.
- Processing infrastructure requests for service within the SLA.
- Attending architecture review discussions as an MQ Messaging SME.
- Establishes and Ensures standards compliance, Corporate security, policy/procedures
- Exploring the use of new technologies to improve the service the team offers.
- Develops detailed project plans and tracks project progress.
- Evaluates the organization's existing infrastructure technology and researches and analyzes trends.
- Implements changes to the infrastructure technology that enhance its reliability and efficiency
- On call rotation required, some nights and weekend work may be required based upon business needs.
- Creating and maintaining MQ documentation and MQ runbook.
Bachelor's degree in computer science or a related discipline, or equivalent work experience is required, advanced degree is preferred.
Four to six (4-6) years of database/middleware messaging related experience
Experience in the financial services industry is a plus.
Experience with IBM MQ:
Queue Sharing Groups
Distributed and Mainframe, z/OS and z/Linux
Prior experience with the following is preferred: MQ 7.5 or higher for Linux and Z/OS, Redhat Linux, and Business Continuity/Disaster Recovery; MQ V9 is preferred
Linux system admin and scripting language (e.g. Bash, Korn Script, or Perl) experience.
Puppet and vRealize is a plus
Excellent written and verbal communication skills to work effectively across multiple business lines, external technology partners and fellow team members.
Excellent analytical and design skills
Demonstrable ability to manage projects.
Pub/Sub implementation experience
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Tamara T.Senior Leader, Talent Acquisition
Tamara and her team act as an embedded marketing team within the talent acquisition department, creating campaigns that reach the right candidates for Vanguard.
Back to top