Market Research Group Leader - Center for Analytics & Insight
The ideal candidate is a resourceful, experienced people leader with a fresh perspective who also shares Vanguard's view on our products, the markets, and the economy. As Research Manager, you will help set the direction for the research program and manage a team of senior researchers, including market research, user experience research and all client/prospect feedback focused on a specific line of business. The Research Manager will also consult and influence senior internal clients to use the most effective methodology to gather client feedback as well as to take action based on insights delivered by team.
- Manages a team of senior researchers (market researchers and user experience researchers) focusing on proactively delivering deep audience insights with actionable recommendations that help business strategy. Manages and leads staff. Provides guidance, training and motivation as necessary to develop staff. Hires, evaluates and counsels personnel. Follows corporate disciplinary procedures as required. Sets performance standards, reviews performance, provides feedback, and recommends wage increases in accordance with all applicable Human Resources policies and procedures. Manages team resources and workload to ensure crew is actively engaged and time is managed effectively. Supports PMO office ensuring staff is adhering to best practices on project tracking to ensure work is prioritized and resourced effectively.
- Develops and manages a research insight strategy for a specific business line as well informing direction for the client experience. Assess gaps and develops plans to ensure team composition can address those gaps. Actively looks to identify process improvements that could enhance the way research is conducted in order to reduce manual processes while continuously seeking to improve data accuracy, timeliness and action ability for the business.
- Consults and influences senior internal clients to use most effective methodology to gather client feedback as well as to take action based on insights delivered by team. Serves as a consultant to internal clients to understand underlying business issues within the client experience, determine strategic and tactical questions that will address these issues, and determine market research, user experience and design thinking/lean methodologies to answer these business questions and improve the client experience. Collaborates with business-unit Principals, and others involved in the specific project outlined. Works with team to gather, integrate, and provide recommendations based on teams' research and analysis. Recommends strategic direction to internal Vanguard decision makers.
- Synthesize competitive information, VG lens, broad industry trends with overlay of client needs and expectations to inform decisions on offer, pricing, client experience, messaging and pricing. Integrate multiple sources such as qualitative and quantitative market research, advanced analytics, and secondary sources. Connects data elements across projects and programs that may be indicating a broader trend / need and elevates to more senior management, when necessary. Shares best practices and common findings across business lines.
- Set direction and coach team to use latest, innovative techniques to solve business problems. Stays up to date as SME in latest knowledge of client experience, market research and design thinking research by mentoring, seminar attendance, employing newer techniques and reading industry publications. Maintains knowledge of the financial services industry. Explores feasibility and tests latest quantitative or qualitative research tools. Helps business understand how to employ the latest, most relevant methodology.
- Manages the budget for studies under their team's direction and coordinates in a timely manner with our internal budget manager to provide updates for Finance. Participates in the development and implementation of business plan initiatives. Manages vendors as needed, identifying deliverables, and ensuring accuracy and completeness of these deliverables, including necessary procurement and info sec policies.
- Graduate degree preferred, i.e. MBA, Masters in Market Research, Masters in Psychology, or Masters in Marketing. Undergraduate degree or an equivalent combination of training and experience required.
- Minimum 8-12 years progressively responsible and related work experience, including three years of successfully managing a variety of projects from beginning to end. Accustomed to consulting with and influencing senior leaders.
- 5+ years People Leadership experience required, including hiring, coaching, mentoring, performance appraisals/performance monitoring, etc.
- Strong planning, relationship management, leadership impact, conceptual thinking and problem solving skills. Demonstrated skills including negotiation, feedback, influence, change management, group facilitation, and meeting effectiveness.
- Strong leadership and motivation skills to effectively manage the completion of responsibilities and objectives.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Flexibility, judgment and time management skills.
- Ability to effectively manage ambiguity and multiple priorities.
- Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Shelley produces creative recruitment marketing campaigns in order to share Vanguard’s brand, mission, events and culture with new talent in the industry.
Back to top