Manager - Fund Reporting, Expenses and Distributions
To ensure that fund financial statements and other data in annual/semiannual reports to shareholders and SEC filings are timely, accurate, and in compliance with SEC and GAAP requirements. To review calculations of amounts available for fund distributions, determine required income and capital gain distributions, and provide information for year-end tax reporting to shareholders. To oversee fund advisory fee calculations and monitor other fund expenses.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages staff. Provides guidance, training and motivation as necessary to develop staff. Hires, evaluates and counsels personnel. Follows corporate disciplinary procedures per established Vanguard standards as required. Sets performance standards, reviews performance, provides feedback, recommends wage increases in accordance with all applicable Human Resources policies and procedures.
- Reviews fund financial statements and other data in annual/semiannual reports to shareholders for accuracy, completeness, consistency with VGI policies and compliance with applicable regulatory and accounting standards.
- Reviews fund quarterly portfolio holdings reports (Form N-Q) and semi-annual filings to SEC on Form N-SAR for accuracy, completeness, consistency with VGI policies and compliance with SEC rules.
- Reviews calculations of amounts of income and capital gains available for distribution to fund shareholders. Determines targeted distribution rates by fund and share class to promote fund tax-efficiency and avoid fund tax liability.
- Works with Tax and other departments, and reviews calculations and disclosures to ensure accuracy and timeliness of year-end tax reporting information communicated to shareholders on Forms 1099-Div, 1099-INT, or separate mailings.
- Reviews advisory fee and other expense calculations to ensure accuracy and compliance with terms of advisory contracts, trust documents, etc. Coordinates with Portfolio Review and Legal Department to implement new contracts or amendments.
- Develops and implements operational plans to achieve departmental and corporate objectives. Works within dept. and across departments / divisions in the planning, development and execution of short and long range goals. Demonstrates initiative and creativity in independently recommending and implementing solutions. Analyzes costs impacting decisions.
- Champions Vanguard Unmatchable Excellence efforts with an emphasis on minimizing business risk. Analyzes departmental statistics and prepares reports to Department Head. Uses available data to monitor progress and measure success. Validates trends and establishes ownership for corrective action.
- Identifies opportunities and leads department projects to improve efficiency, particularly with better use of technology and improved interdepartmental communication.
- Promotes effective communications and working relationships with internal suppliers and clients, and with external auditors. Anticipates and addresses client needs.
- Participates in the development of the departmental business plan and budget.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in accounting or finance, or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Minimum of five years of related experience and one to two years management experience.
- Ability to respond to reporting changes, communicate same to staff and other departments, and effectively develop implementation plans.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects or objectives.
- Familiarity with SEC and generally accepted accounting principles for mutual funds preferred.
- Strong technical understanding of mutual fund accounting practices.
- Excellent verbal and written communications.
- Excel proficiency.
- CPA preferred.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Shelley produces creative recruitment marketing campaigns in order to share Vanguard’s brand, mission, events and culture with new talent in the industry.
Back to top