Lead Windows Desktop Engineer
- Wayne, PA
Lead Windows Desktop Engineer
At Vanguard, technology is integral to helping our clients reach their personal goals. We depend on IT 24/7 to run our investors' assets. That puts your expertise in delivering critical user productivity solutions at the core of our business.
This position can be based in Charlotte, NC, ,Malvern, PA, or Scottsdale AZ.
As a Lead Windows Engineer you will be responsible for providing subject matter expertise to deliver world-class endpoint solutions to our over 20 thousand crew and contractors to help them support our over 30 million investors worldwide. You will be a key technical leader in the delivery of modern management capabilities to allow us to deliver our solutions as quickly and efficiently as possible. You will partner with senior architects and engineers across other disciplines to develop technical strategies to modernize the end user experience to meet the demands of the ever-changing digital workplace.
You will help define and deliver upon our strategic future by selecting the vendor technologies that will drive our business forward. You will provide expert level, Tier 3, technical leadership for our most critical enterprise projects. You will also be responsible for ensuring reliable operation of the production environment as you troubleshoot and resolve complex technical issues. The central role of technology in Vanguard's business not only provides extraordinary learning opportunities for you, it sets new standards for the wider IT industry. Make it count.
In this role, you will:
- Plan and implements new technologies and major releases for the most critical enterprise-wide IT infrastructure projects. Tests, installs, and migrates software, patches, upgrades, proxies, applications, and/or hardware.
- Communicate with IT groups to assess systems risks on those areas and to keep groups apprised of systems issues that may have an impact on those areas, including projected down times and business risks. Communicates with IT vendors to research and resolve issues.
- Develops technical standards. Tests and evaluates IT vendor products.
- Maintains, monitors, and tunes Production system and applications performance. Debugs source code and performance problems and/or provides debugging assistance to developers. Identifies opportunities to improve performance (e.g., automating manual system tasks).
- Learns and understands client area business functions and requirements. Has the ability to determine the appropriate technical tool to address the client's business needs.
- Provide expert/Lead level Tier 3 technical infrastructure support services for issues elevated from the Support Center and other Technical Services groups. Ensures reliable operation of production. Diagnoses and troubleshoots availability interruptions and other production issues.
- Performs capacity planning activities.
- Trains and mentors staff as a key contributor to the overall technical development of the team.
- Writes documentation, including project plans, backup plans, business continuance, installation procedures, and troubleshooting tips. Creates diagrams, including technical topology.
- Adds, updates, and closes IT Problem Management database records. Researches and resolves the most complex issues, and reviews related technology records to mitigate impact on assigned system.
- Reviews numerous IT knowledge repositories to update technical knowledge.
- Thoroughly understands and complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established client service levels.
- Thoroughly understands and complies with Information Security policies and procedures. Verifies deliverables meet Information Security and VSA requirements.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
What it takes:
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Minimum of 8+ years' experience in Windows System Engineering experience
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Expert knowledge of the following product support practices and concepts: infrastructure design , wide range of technologies within specialty, full project delivery life cycle, IT service level agreements, performance monitoring, tuning, and debugging (e.g., GTF traces, and region and transaction dumps), software and peripheral installation, network protocols (e.g., TCP/IP and ACCP), process/product testing and verification, software and/or hardware setup and configuration , computer networking, technical standards and deliverables, system log files, tasks, account management, and commands.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Back to top