Lead Platform Engineer
The Build Engineering team is looking for talented individuals who are passionate about software development. Our mission is to build and maintain a platform that supports contemporary software architectures allowing developers to build, test, and release their products. Members of our team are involved in full stack development and enjoy the fact that we have true product ownership of the tools that we support. The work that we do around Continuous Delivery is enabling fellow developers to be highly productive and give Vanguard a competitive advantage in the market place. If this kind of innovative work interests you please consider our team.
As the architect of the Build Engineering Team, you'll be the technical lead of a team that manages our Continuous Delivery Pipeline which elevates code into production on a daily basis. We're looking for an individual who can continually increase the availability, scalability, and reliability of our platform as we expand the pipeline to support additional architectures. This is a hands on keys position and requires an individual who can both design and implement technical solutions.
On your first day we'll expect you to:
- Develop in Java, Bash, and Python.
- Enhance the production monitoring and metrics gathering of our Build platform tools.
- Be able to troubleshoot a complex bug that a development team is facing.
- Have a solid understanding on Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery practices
- Be aware of emerging technologies and quickly put them to good use.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Provides the architectural leadership in shaping strategic technology projects, which focus on both Business of IT (e.g.,TBD) and LOB-specific (e.g., TBD) strategic technology projects.
- Continuously pursues strong technical acumen:
- Establishes working relationships with strategic and boutique technology providers.
- Leverages knowledge capital available through subscription research services.
- Leverages the Internet as a critical resource for related knowledge capital, inclusive of blogs, podcasts, webinar, etc.
- Attends conferences and engages in associated activities (e.g., conducting presentations, leading workshops, etc.).
- Consumes and contributes content from and to Open Source communities.
Provides architecture thought leadership and expertise by designing and leading implementation
Defines reference and implementation architectures.
Develops proof-of-concept prototypes and initial implementation models.
Monitors implementation activity to ensure architecture and design principles are upheld.
Ensures implementation solutions support architecture objectives (availability, scalability, performance, security, etc.), as appropriate.
Communicates complicated technical concepts effectively to a broad group of stakeholders.
Establishes relationships with IT leaders, architects, and technical specialists for the purpose of advancing proposed architectural solutions.
Utilizes a general understanding of the competitive landscape and corporate and business unit strategies to provide context for architectural decision making.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Minimum five years relevant work experience, specifically with Java development and Unix administration
- AWS experience, along with experience running managed services on the Cloud
- Strong knowledge of continuous delivery, along with understanding of Cloud architecture required
- Must have experience migrating existing infrastructure to the Cloud
It would also be great if you had:
- Experience building, automating, and maintain infrastructure with AWS using CloudFormation
- Solid experience designing and operating mission critical cloud services at scale
- Development experience with Angular JS and Grunt
- Proficiency with containerization such as Docker and Kubernetes
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Shelley produces creative recruitment marketing campaigns in order to share Vanguard’s brand, mission, events and culture with new talent in the industry.
Back to top