Lead Palo Alto Firewall Engineer
To provide expert level infrastructure services focusing on designing, installing, configuring, integrating, and automating Palo Alto firewalls in addition to other data center technologies (compute, network, and storage). Provides project leadership for design and installation projects using standard technologies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides lead level infrastructure services, including installing, configuring, and integrating Palo Alto firewalls and other enterprise data center technologies. Obtains quotes and justifies business need. Identifies stake holders and forms project team. Conducts functional testing and provides recommendations based on the results. Verifies installations meet production acceptance standards.
- Implements opportunities to automate manual system tasks.
- Provides lead level Tier 3 services for complex issues elevated from tier 2 support groups. Identifies failing components.
- Provides technical leadership for infrastructure engineering team.
- Provides expert level design and debugging services to development teams.
- Identifies performance issues, interprets trends, and implements improvements.
- Writes documentation, including policies and procedures. Creates diagrams, including network, storage, and compute designs.
- Adds, updates, and closes records in the IT Problem Management and Change Management databases.
- Trains and mentors staff. Conducts formal training sessions, one-on-one sessions, and recommends training vendors. Troubleshoots and resolves complex issues.
- Completes capacity planning activities, including monitoring and tracking capacity metrics. Initiates actions to prevent degradation caused by capacity issues.
- Thoroughly understands and complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established client service levels. Thoroughly understands and complies with Information Security policies and procedures.
- Participates in special projects and performs other related duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Minimum of 5+ years infrastructure engineering experience.
- Working understanding of advanced aspects of Palo Alto firewalls and other data center technologies including VMware tool suite (ESXi, vCenter, vROPS, vRNI, vRB, etc.), enterprise storage, and networking with expertise in at least one of the following technologies: VMWare, SAN, NAS, Block Storage, Data Replicatoin Strategy, Routing and Switching, Application Load Balancing, Data Back-up Technologies
- Working understanding of code and scripting (Python, PowerShell, Rest API)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Strong analysis and problem solving skills.
- Strong project leadership skills.
Advanced knowledge of the following practices and concepts:
Network, storage and VMWare architecture design, technical standards and deliverables, troubleshooting tools (e.g., log analysis), software and hardware installation and configuration, protocols ( e.g., TCP/IP, routing protocols, storage replication, etc. ).
Advanced knowledge of multiple IT platforms:
Client/server, Microsoft Windows, Routers and switches, Linux , VMWare, Firewalls, Data Back-up
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Tamara T.Senior Leader, Talent Acquisition
Tamara and her team act as an embedded marketing team within the talent acquisition department, creating campaigns that reach the right candidates for Vanguard.
Back to top