Lead Fullstack Engineer - Site Reliability Engineering
- Malvern, PA
Make investing seamlessly simple
As a global leader, we need to harness the technology of the future. As an engineer within our Corporate Systems team, you'll build and integrate the features and tools that enable investing solutions to be accessible to millions - across multiple platforms and critical business applications and Machine Learning Platform; including the SRE Data Lake. This role will be a challenge, but it's one you'll rise to. Make your real passion for great user experiences count!
In this role you will
- Learn the latest technologies as you analyze, design, develop and implement solutions that enable us to meet or exceed high availability goals for our critical applications/infrastructure
- Share your deep understanding of software development methodology and full stack instrumentation as you mentor colleagues with less experience
- Integrate third-party products with ours, making sure they work seamlessly for investors
- Enable and foster an "Automation First" approach - ensuring we meet and/or exceed our efficiency goals
- Build automated inspections throughout the development life-cycle, identify technical considerations and using your extraordinary communication skills to explain their impact to colleagues while building in resiliency patterns
- Be familiar with self-diagnosing and self-healing frameworks and be integral in broadening this capability across our critical workloads
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides expert level IT technical lead services and direction for critical software, middleware, and/or hardware projects (e.g., applications, networks, communications, and client server technologies) on multiple platforms. Provides technical expertise in systems, technical infrastructure, tools, modeling, external interfaces, and other technical areas. Completes complex development, design, implementation, architecture design specification, and maintenance activities.
- Ensures the viability of IT deliverables. Recommends development options, including design, build/buy, and vendor purchase. Approves the team's technical deliverables. Conducts testing, including functionality, technical limitations, and security.
- Identifies potential solutions, including the cost/benefit of each option. Approves technical solutions proposed by team members. Elevates complex technical issues to IT experts, including architects and vendors. Resolves technical problems discovered by testers and internal clients. Responds to and resolves technical issues in a timely manner. Researches issues and performs root cause analysis.
- Communicates with project manager on a frequent basis. Identifies tasks and issues that may have an impact on service levels or schedules. Provides realistic task and cost estimates. Screens resumes of team members, interviews, makes hiring and assignment recommendations, and writes reviews.
- Maintains a current and working knowledge of IT development methodology, architecture design, and technical standards. Mentors IT staff and identifies training needs. As new standards are instituted, ensures their usage by team members. A Technical Lead II should be able to perform as a Developer III.
- Communicates with other technical leads, IT groups, and clients so they understand the project's technical implications, dependencies, and potential conflicts. Evaluates the impacts of change requests on own/shared technologies and effectively persuades and influences others on ideas.
- Reviews and approves documentation and diagrams created by IT team members (e.g., system specifications). Writes documentation, including technical standards and processes.
- Identifies opportunities for continuous quality improvement of technical standards, methodologies, and technologies.
- Participates in design, code, and test inspections throughout product life cycle to identify issues. Participates as a technical consultant at other project meetings. Presents technical status and issues at milestone reviews.
- For teams without a BSA, performs this staff member's duties, including interviewing business liaisons to diagram process flows and to write functional requirements. In the absence of the project manager, performs this staff member's duties, including coordinating daily systems analysis and development activities.
- Thoroughly understands and complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established client service levels. Thoroughly understands and complies with Information Security policies and procedures, and verifies deliverables meet Information Security requirements.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience
- Advanced proficiency with at least three of the following, Java Server Pages (JSPs), JAX-RS / Jersey APIs, Python, Machine Learning, AI agents
- Spring Framework experience
- Subversion and Git
- Basic SQL competency is expected
- Hands on experience with cloud ecosystem such as AWS/PCF/Google Cloud/Azure
- Experience with Big Data platforms such as building out a data lake
- APM and distributed tracing solutions such as Dynatrace/AppDynamics/Jaeger/Zipkin
Specializations that will make an impact
- Experience with Distributed Tracing implementation eg opentracing
- Experience with circuit breakers or developing circuit breaker logic
- Experience with structured and unstructured logging frameworks - eg slf4j
- Experience with resiliency patterns toggling, redundancy, autoscaling, idepotent methods etc
- Works on multiple, medium size projects or one large project with timelines of 6 - 15 months
- Works on dissimilar technologies (e.g., applications), for multiple platforms and business areas, for critical systems with the largest numbers of interfaces and users
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Back to top