Lead Endpoint Engineer
This role is for a position on Vanguard’s Endpoint Computing team which is responsible for the definition, standardization and management of the endpoint computing platform. This includes both physical and virtual desktop environments and the infrastructure that supports access and management of the platform. The Lead Endpoint Engineer is expected to provide expert level Tier 3 technical support for the most critical projects and to ensure reliable operation of the production environment. To troubleshoot and install software operating on one or more systems. To plan and coordinate critical, enterprise-wide IT infrastructure projects. To test and evaluate new IT vendor products. Immediate opportunities to support the delivery of Windows 10 across the enterprise.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provides expert level Tier 3 technical infrastructure support services for issues elevated from the Support Center and other Technical Services groups. Ensures reliable operation of production. Diagnoses and troubleshoots availability interruptions and other production issues.
2. Plans and implements new technologies and major releases for the most critical enterprise-wide IT infrastructure projects. Tests, installs, and migrates software, patches, upgrades, proxies, applications, and/or hardware.
3. Communicates with IT groups to assess systems risks on those areas and to keep groups apprised of systems issues that may have an impact on those areas, including projected down times and business risks. Communicates with IT vendors to research and resolve issues.
4. Develops technical standards. Tests and evaluates IT vendor products.
5. Maintains, monitors, and tunes Production system and applications performance. Debugs source code and performance problems and/or provides debugging assistance to developers. Identifies opportunities to improve performance (e.g., automating manual system tasks).
6. Performs capacity planning activities.
7. Trains and mentors staff. Resolves the most complex issues elevated from staff with less experience.
8. Writes documentation, including project plans, backup plans, business continuance, installation procedures, and troubleshooting tips. Creates diagrams, including technical topology.
9. Adds, updates, and closes IT Problem Management database records. Researches and resolves the most complex issues, and reviews related technology records to mitigate impact on assigned system.
10. Reviews numerous IT knowledge repositories to update technical knowledge.
11. Learns and understands client area business functions and requirements. Has the ability to determine the appropriate technical tool to address the client’s business needs.
12. Thoroughly understands and complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established client service levels. Thoroughly understands and complies with Information Security policies and procedures. Verifies deliverables meet Information Security and VSA requirements.
13. Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Eight years’ experience in technical specialty, including three to four years’ hardware/software configuration and troubleshooting experience.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Expert knowledge of the following product support practices and concepts: infrastructure design , wide range of technologies within specialty, full project delivery life cycle, IT service level agreements, performance monitoring, tuning, and debugging (e.g., GTF traces, and region and transaction dumps), software and peripheral installation, network protocols (e.g., TCP/IP and ACCP), process/product testing and verification, software and/or hardware setup and configuration , computer networking, technical standards and deliverables, system log files, tasks, account management, and commands.
- Expert knowledge of one or more IT platforms and products: See additional information for the specific requirements for this posting.
- Certification – Holds the appropriate technical specialty certificate or has the ability to attain within 9 months of hire date: See additional information for the specific requirements for this posting.
- Familiar with and has physically implemented Microsoft Win OS Delivery (OSD) model using SCCM (minimum Win7, prefer Win8/10 experience)
- Strong Windows OS management, configuration and security concepts
- Strong Windows OS hardware/driver integration (WMI and PnP)
- Strong in Powershell scripting
- Strong in VBScript and DOS batch – independently capable of translating to/optimizing for Powershell
- Familiar with SCCM packaging/program techniques – to be used with OSD task sequence
- Implementation experience with USMT capture/restore to file share (scanstate/loadstate tools) and custom capture configuration (XML file)
- Familiar with implementing Bitlocker – TPM chip integration
- Familiar with base Active Directory concepts and machine domain join, directory OU and Group Policy functionality
1. Remote and off hours support: See additional information for the specific requirements for this posting.
2. On call: See additional information for the specific requirements for this posting.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
RFP Specialist, CFP®
Megan is part of Vanguard’s Institutional Sales Group. She ensures that each and every information request is processed before being returned to a prospective client.
Back to top