Lead Developer - Java SQL & .NET
To provide senior level IT technical lead services, including the direction, evaluation, selection, configuration, implementation, and integration of new or existing technologies and tools.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides senior level IT technical lead services and direction (which may include) software, middleware, and/or hardware projects (e.g., applications, networks, communications, and client server technologies) on a single platform. Provides technical expertise in systems, technical infrastructure, tools, modeling, external interfaces, and other areas. Completes complex development, design, implementation, architecture design specification, and maintenance activities.
- Ensures the viability of IT deliverables. Recommends development options, including design, build/buy, and vendor purchase. Conducts testing, including functionality, technical limitations, and security.
- Identifies potential solutions, including the cost/benefit of each option. May approve solutions proposed by team members. Resolves complex issues uncovered by testers and internal clients.
- Communicates with project manager on a frequent basis. Identifies tasks and issues that may have an impact on service levels or schedules. Provides realistic task and cost estimates. May screen resumes, interviews, make hiring and assignment recommendations, and write reviews.
- Maintains a current and working knowledge of IT development methodology, architecture design, and technical standards. Mentors IT staff with less experience and identifies training needs. A Technical Lead I should be able to perform as a Developer II.
- Communicates with technical leads, IT groups, and clients so they understand the project's technical implications, dependencies, and potential conflicts. Evaluates the impacts of change requests on own/shared technologies.
- Reviews and approves documentation and diagrams created by IT team members, (e.g., system specifications). Writes documentation, including technical standards and processes.
- Identifies opportunities for continuous quality improvement of technical standards, methodologies, and technologies.
- May participate in design, code, and test Inspections throughout product life cycle to contribute technical expertise and to identify issues. Presents technical status and issues at milestone reviews. Maintains a comprehensive understanding of Investment Management business functions (Equity, Fixed Income, ETF, Foreign Exchange, and/or OTC contracts). Combines technical and functional knowledge to produce highly functional solutions to Investment Management business problems. Has a broad understanding of Vanguard's technologies, tools, and applications, including those that interface with business area and systems.
- For teams without a BSA, performs this staff member's duties, including interviewing business liaisons to write the functional requirements. In the absence of the project manager, performs this staff member's duties, including coordinating daily systems analysis and development activities.
- Thoroughly understands and complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established client service levels. Thoroughly understands and complies with Information Security policies and procedures. Verifies team's deliverables meet Information Security requirements.
- Maintains a broad understanding of the roles of front, middle and back office, and designs systems to enable efficient business processes while maintaining necessary controls. Maintains a broad understanding of the roles of external partners (Custodial Banks, Brokers, and Regulatory Bodies) and designs systems to enable efficient business processes while maintaining necessary controls.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Five years experience in technical specialty. For development technical leads, includes two years' developer experience.
- Two to five years Investment Systems experience preferred.
Development experience with two or more of the following languages:
- SQL, TLSQL
- Spring Framework
- .Net a plus
Knowledge specific to the Investment Management business in the following areas:
- Investment Management Business and/or Completion of IMS curriculum level 1.
- At least one Investment Systems Area (Portfolio Management, Order Management, Data Management, Risk Management).
- Investment Management business processes.
- Investment and Operational Risk Controls.
Advanced knowledge of the following technical lead practices and concepts:
- Full product life cycle.
- Performance and stress testing.
- Quality assurance methodology and Inspections.
- Technical standards and deliverables.
- Migration and integration.
- Estimating, including design, development/purchase, and installation.
- For development only: Production acceptance (including elevations), data modeling, data sharing, reusable components, and related advanced development standards.
Advanced knowledge of one or more IT platforms:
- IBM mainframe.
- Microsoft Windows NT.
- See additional informationfor the specific requirements for this posting.
- Works on one medium size project or multiple small projects with timelines of 3 - 12 months
- Works on similar technologies (e.g., applications), for a single platform and business area, for systems with large numbers of interfaces and users
- Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position*
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Shelley produces creative recruitment marketing campaigns in order to share Vanguard’s brand, mission, events and culture with new talent in the industry.
Back to top