Java Developer - Intermediate
To provide intermediate level system analysis, design, development, and implementation of applications and databases for mainframe-, client/server-, Web-, and/or PC-based systems.
Vanguard started with a revolutionary idea – that mutual funds should be managed in the sole interest of their clients. Our Information Technology division continues this tradition of revolution by envisioning opportunities for the future, then implementing those ideas with quality and efficiency. The group encourages a collaborative, open environment where all ideas are welcomed. Vanguard is currently seeking an entry level Java Developer to join this engaged and effective team.
In the Java Developer role, you’ll help produce quality software, partner with experts to identify solutions, and help business areas plan and achieve their goals using cutting-edge technology. But it’s not just state-of-the-art technology and a supportive environment that make Vanguard a desirable employer; we offer sophisticated training, career development opportunities, a policy of promoting from within, and workplace flexibility. As a Vanguard Java Developer, you won’t just create software, you’ll drive the organization to be a step ahead in the IT industry.
During a typical day, a Java Developer:
- Provides intermediate level system analysis, design, development, and implementation of applications and databases for mainframe-, client/server-, Web-, and/or PC-based software or middleware. Integrates third party products.
- Translates technical specifications, and/or logical and physical design into code for new or enhancement projects for internal clients. Develops code that reuses subroutines or objects, is well structured, includes sufficient comments, and is easy to maintain. Writes programs, ad hoc queries, and reports.
- Elevates code into the development, test, and Production environments on schedule. Provides follow up Production support. Submits change control requests and documents.
- Follows software development methodology. Follows architecture standards.
- Participates in design, code, and test Inspections throughout life cycle to identify issues. Participates in other meetings, such as those for use case creation.
- Participates in systems analysis activities, including system requirements analysis and definition (e.g., prototyping), and logical and physical design.
- Writes the system/technical portion of assigned deliverables, including the Version Description Document. Assists technical team members with the system/technical portion of their deliverables (e.g., systems testers, test plans). On small teams, the developer may write these items.
- Acts as a system tester for unit, integration, systems, acceptance, and related testing. Writes the test plan to ensure requirements are satisfied.
- Understands client business functions and technology needs. Understands Vanguard’s tools, technologies, and applications/databases, including those that interface with business area and systems.
- Complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established milestones. Complies with all Information Security policies and procedures, and verifies deliverables meet Information Security requirements.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience
- Minimum 3 years developer or systems analyst experience
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong analysis and problem solving skills
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Intermediate knowledge of the following development practices and concepts
- Quality assurance methodology and Inspections
- Use case standards
- Systems analysis and design techniques
- System/subsystem requirements
- Libraries, reusable code, and/or object oriented standards
- Screen, report, and query design
- Intermediate knowledge of current versions of the following products:
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Intermediate knowledge of one or more IT platforms
- Intermediate knowledge of one or more testing tools, performance tools, and scripting languages
- Weekday coverage: Regularly scheduled 5-day week, Mon. – Fri., normal business hours.
- On call and remote support applies but is limited
- Travel: For Charlotte, NC-based staff, limited travel to Valley Forge, PA may apply
- Non-web developers work on business applications/databases with an intermediate number of interfaces and users, or may work on small to mid-size, defined assignments on large scale, business-critical systems.
- Web developers work on business applications/databases with large numbers of interfaces and users.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Back to top