Vanguard started with a revolutionary idea – that mutual funds should be managed in the sole interest of their clients. Our Information Technology division continues this tradition of revolution by envisioning opportunities for the future, then implementing those ideas with quality and efficiency. The group encourages a collaborative, open environment where all ideas are welcomed. Vanguard is currently seeking an entry level Java Developer to join this engaged and effective team.
In the Java Developer role, you’ll help produce quality software, partner with experts to identify solutions, and help business areas plan and achieve their goals using cutting-edge technology. But it’s not just state-of-the-art technology and a supportive environment that make Vanguard a desirable employer; we offer sophisticated training, career development opportunities, a policy of promoting from within, and workplace flexibility. As a Vanguard Java Developer, you won’t just create software, you’ll drive the organization to be a step ahead in the IT industry.
During a typical day, a Java Developer:
- Provides entry level system analysis, design, development, and implementation of applications and databases for mainframe, client/server, Web-, and/or PC-based software or middleware. Integrates third party products.
- Translates technical specifications, and/or logical and physical design into code for internal clients.
- Develops code based on reading and understanding business and functional requirements following the Agile process. Writes programs, ad hoc queries, and reports.
- Elevates code into the development, test, and production environments on schedule. Provides follow up support. Submits change control requests and documents.
- Learns and follows software development methodology and architecture standards.
- Participates in design, code, and test inspections throughout the life cycle to identify issues.
- Participates in systems analysis activities, including system requirements analysis and definition (e.g., prototyping), and logical and physical design.
- Writes the system/technical portion of assigned deliverables, including the Version Description Document. Assists technical team members with the system/technical portion of their deliverables, e.g., Systems Testers, test plans. (On small teams, the Developer may write these items.). Interacts with architects, other tech leads, team members and project manager as required to address technical and schedule issues.
- Acts as a System Tester for unit, integration, systems, acceptance, and related testing. Writes the test plan to ensure requirements are satisfied.
- Learns Vanguard’s tools, technologies, applications/databases, as well as business functions and their systems.
- Learns and complies with all IT and Information Security policies and procedures.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience
- 0 – 2 years general business experience, including 0 – 1 year developer or systems analyst experience
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Good analysis and problem solving skills
- Can explain their findings to clients and internal partners in a clear, concise manner.
- Working knowledge of the following development practices and concepts: Systems analysis and design techniques, System/subsystem requirements, Libraries, reusable code, and/or object oriented standards, Screen, report, and query design
- Working knowledge of current versions of the following products: Microsoft Office Suite, Visio
- Working knowledge of one or more development tools and programming languages
- Working knowledge of one or more IT platform
- Working knowledge of one or more testing tools, performance tools, and scripting languages
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Back to top