IT Engineering Manager - Advisory Services
Bring inspiring leadership to a team that's leading the way for investors
At Vanguard, we're taking a stand for investors. And that means providing a premier experience every time they contact us. As an Engineering Manager, you'll lead multi-year engineering related programs with cross-divisional impact, applying deep expertise within a given discipline. Programs often have enterprise-wide implications. By doing so, you'll translate our common sense of purpose into everyday quality. In return, we'll offer you the chance to grow personally and expertly, being responsible for the teams who lead the industry. Are you ready to make a difference?
In this role, you will:
- Manage staff. Develop, mentor, and provide guidance, training and motivation as necessary. Conduct regular one on one, skips and staff meetings as appropriate. Hire, evaluate, and counsel crew. Set performance standards, review performance, provide feedback, and recommend wage increases in accordance with all applicable Human Resources policies and procedures.
- Effectively demonstrate various staffing options and lead global workforce.
- Develop strong and authentic relationships with peers, clients and key partners that empower them to lead long-term collaborations and deliver successful business outcomes.
- Act as a technology advisor and champion in identifying, evaluating and recommending appropriate strategies and technologies for building products and delivering services.
- Elevate IT into a strategic partner by demonstrating acumen and passion for business and technology; enthusiastically recommending innovative solutions to achieve business goals.
- Working knowledge of the general software development landscape, architectures, trends, and new technologies.
- Lead the strategy and execution to build, buy or integrate business technology solutions.
- Run the portfolio as a business and applies stronger financial stewardship while delivering on short and long range business goals.
- Adopt new concepts and evolving contemporary software development practices and monitors implementation activity to ensure the latest architecture and design principles are upheld by team.
- Find opportunities for continuous quality improvement of technical standards, methodologies, and technologies. Evaluates alternatives for modifications to systems/frameworks and recommends and/or make decisions on solutions that meet long-term business objectives and current organizational requirements.
- Thoroughly understands and follows IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established client service levels. Thoroughly understands and follows Information Security policies and procedures, and verifies work that meet Information Security requirements.
- Participate in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
Focused on crafting creative user experiences, you'll continuously deliver imaginative solutions that also satisfy business needs. Your fresh ideas will directly impact one of our strategic focus areas and help us redefine the world of mutual funds. Your analytical approach to problem-solving, underpinned by good interpersonal skills, will make you a valuable member of a reciprocal team that shares ideas and solves problems in new ways. And at every stage of the process you'll enjoy many opportunities to deepen your knowledge and widen your experience.
What it takes:
- 5+ years of experience as a software developer
- 3+ years of experience in people/project management
- Bachelor's degree in a related technical discipline
- Experience with Object Oriented Development and languages
- Experience across all phases of the SDLC and Agile software development practices
- Experience leading a high-functioning, highly agile team of engineers that delivers scalable and responsive web-based cloud solutions.
- Proven experience delivering projects from start to finish.
- Effectively liaises across departments to accomplish tasks and projects.
- Ability to understand complex distributed systems.
- Ability to work independently, lead own time, priorities, and resources to achieve goals.
- Good social interpersonal skills, both verbal and written.
- Innate desire to learn and grow, and ability to coach engineers to do the
- Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Back to top