Investment Risk Analyst (Equities)
The Investment Risk Analyst will provide investment risk management expertise and analysis to the Vanguard Investment Management Group in a global environment. Must have Equity Risk Experience.Department Overview:Vanguard's Risk Management Group (RMG) is an independent unit that makes risk management an integrated part of our investment process, dually focusing on comprehensive investment risk issues for Vanguard's Fixed Income and Equity Investment Groups, as well as ensuring a best-in-class operational control environment. This team provides transparency, oversight, and governance of exposure across Vanguard's investment groups.RMG covers virtually all areas of risk management, including investment risk, portfolio analysis, quantitative research, and operational and counterparty risk. They also partner with Vanguard's Global Investment Shared Services team to manage risk for systems and data management. Among their responsibilities, RMG produces reports on adherence to prospectus limitations and internal guidelines. The RMG team is comprised of approximately 50 risk managers, quantitative researchers, financial analysts, and data experts. The head of the Risk Management Group reports directly to Vanguard's Chief Investment Officer, and is a member of the senior team that sets investment strategy for Vanguard.
Your primary duties and responsibilities:
- Partners with Vanguard's Investment Management Group to define and develop an effective and efficient risk-reporting infrastructure in a global environment by gathering and analyzing data from various fund management units, writing reports, and providing recommendations and exercising judgment.
- Uses a variety of analytical resources, under the direction of senior management, to develop new and enhance existing risk-return analysis, including risk monitoring, performance attribution, multi-factor risk models, benchmarking and scenario analysis. Analytical resources include but are not limited to FactSet, Axioma, CRD, Visual Basic, Excel, MATLAB, and other portfolio management systems.
- Develops a deep understanding of Vanguard's investment management functional areas. Keeps abreast of current issues in business operations and incorporates changing business needs into risk analysis. Develops and maintains knowledge of financial markets, securities and general investment themes in order to bring an informed perspective to the risk management processes.
- Keeps abreast of current financial markets, securities and investment themes in order to bring an informed perspective to the risk management processes. Ability to think critically about broad range of potential investment risks, gathers relevant data and information systematically, can translate complexities and perceives relationships amongst data and trends.
- Develops and executes complex business projects and directs colleagues on such projects. Meets established project milestones, goals and objectives within established time frames by utilizing a disciplined approach to delivering on time. Leads team with the identification, evaluation, and resolution of potential obstacles which may have an impact on the completion of the project.
- Presents thorough, clear, and insightful analysis to senior leaders, portfolio managers, and traders in a professional manner.
- Undertakes a variety of ad hoc analytical projects as needed to support Risk Management Group (RMG).
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate should possess:
- Bachelor's degree with MS/MBA, CFA designation, or FRM strongly preferred
- Minimum five years related analytical work experience.
- Strong understanding of broad financial markets, including industry structure, trading practices, risk management techniques, and systems capabilities. Ability to handle multiple, complex projects with attention to detail while meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrated quantitative and analytical skills, including statistical and regression analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to function in a fast paced, ambiguous working environment with multiple and diverse responsibilities.
- Desire and aptitude to problem solve using system solutions such as advanced functions in Excel and Access; experience with VBA, SQL, and MATLAB strongly preferred.
- Detail oriented with a high level of energy.
- Proven self-starter with ability to work independently and within teams.
- Effective influencing, collaboration, relationship management, project management and partnering skills
This position may require you to disclose the political contributions you have previously precleared to ensure completeness and accuracy. Certain political contributions may disqualify you from consideration for this position.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Shelley produces creative recruitment marketing campaigns in order to share Vanguard’s brand, mission, events and culture with new talent in the industry.
Back to top