Internal Audit Engagement Manager - Investments & Investment Operations
Financial integrity from the inside out
Join a diverse and collaborative team of Internal Auditors who work directly with business leaders to identify operational and business risk factors for the investment and investment operations side of our business. Investments are front and center to what Vanguard does for our shareholders and it is critical that risks associated with our investment activities are being managed appropriately. You will develop the audit plan for this business area and deliver meaningful work to our senior-most leaders; providing a professional opinion on the state of risk and controls for our investment and investment operations processes. Vanguard's Internal Audit Department is comprised of approximately 135 crew globally. The department is seen as a critical line of defense and is valued as a partner and trusted resource. Team members are collaborative, hard-working, highly motivated, and technically skilled professionals who consistently deliver top-quality work in a challenging and fast-paced environment. Internal Audit promotes a flexible and well-balanced work environment.
In this role you will:
- Manage engagement team and delivery of the overall audit and advisory engagements. Ensure the timely delivery of the highest quality work and value-add recommendations. Assess the adequacy of the control environment, identifies control gaps and opportunities for continuous improvement based on relevant knowledge and experience.
- Assist in developing and communicating the objectives of an engagement to audit team, department management and business clients. Outline engagement scope, determine level of associated risk and analyzes data to determine underlying root causes. Challenge established processes and controls to ensure they are adequate to mitigate risk. Perform work and analysis on complex areas.
- Effectively communicate the status and results of assigned work to various levels of management. Influence senior management (department heads and officers) to act on recommendations to strengthen the control environment and make process improvements. Provide opinion on audit and advisory findings, ratings and recommendations to senior management.
- Leverage audit teams' skill set and experience to drive collaboration and ensure work is completed accurately and timely. Communicate expectations to team and provides meaningful feedback to help develop team members by identifying and communicating areas for improvement in a timely manner.
- Establish and maintain relationships with business management across aligned division and risk partners (including legal, compliance, information security, fraud).
- Participate and at times lead, department and team projects to effectively deliver on operational and strategic goals of the department.
What it takes:
- Undergraduate degree in a business related field of concentration or equivalent combination of training and experience. Professional certification or advanced degree (e.g., MBA, CPA, CIA, CFA) is a plus.
- Five to seven years general business experience (with two to four years of project management related experience). Experience with audit, risk or controls (i.e. operational audits, internal audits, advisory/consulting, controls/compliance/legal) preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of and demonstrated interest in the financial services industry. Ability to present findings and industry insights to senior leaders across the company.
- Strong conceptual thinking aptitude.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a complex, dynamic, and fast-paced environment with strong inherent project execution skills, including: prioritizing tasks, balancing workload between multiple projects, anticipating next steps, adapting to changing situations and project scope.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including: written and verbal communications, willingness to assist in areas outside of direct assignments when necessary, and commitment to self-improvement and completion of team objectives.
- Experience in situations requiring diplomacy. Strong negotiation skills.
- Strong relationship skills and client focused mindset.
Ability for some travel.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Back to top