Intellectual Property, Associate Counsel
Vanguard is a leading provider of financial products and services to individual and institutional investors world-wide. In addition, Vanguard is an employer of choice that continually invests in the growth, development and success of its employees (crewmembers) over the course of their Vanguard careers. Vanguard's Office of the General Counsel addresses a wide range of complex and compelling legal and compliance issues. To support its growing business, Vanguard is seeking an attorney in its Intellectual Property Legal Team. The position is responsible for a broad portfolio of trademark, copyright, domain name and right of publicity legal matters and offers substantial opportunity for long-term growth.
Candidates must share Vanguard's core values, including unmatched ethical standards and client service, strong work ethic, and can-do attitude. Candidates must foster a team environment by building collaborative, trusting relationships with others through effective communication, empathy and respect and advancing the development and success of others. Additionally, you must be skilled at successfully collaborating with, enabling, working through, and influencing legal colleagues, in-house corporate partners, and business clients at all levels, including senior management.
In this role you will...
- Manage Vanguard's global trademark portfolio, including U.S. and foreign trademark clearance, prosecution, maintenance and enforcement
- Oversee Vanguard's domain name protection and enforcement efforts
- Advise internal clients on all aspects of copyright, trademark, right of publicity, domain name and related legal issues and strategy
- Draft and negotiate various intellectual property agreements, including trademark licensing agreements, copyright permission agreements, co-branding and co-marketing agreements, and speaker release agreements
- Assist with the development and implementation of enterprise-wide intellectual property policies and procedures, and with training of internal clients for compliance with applicable policies, regulations and laws
- Provide legal guidance on intellectual property issues arising in 3rd party vendor contracts
- Manage outside counsel regarding foreign trademark matters and outside service providers
- Support the development and substantive work of legal analysts on the team
Qualifications and Experience (What it takes):
- Minimum of 4-6 years of relevant professional intellectual property experience
- Experience with trademark counseling and U.S. and foreign trademark portfolio management, clearance, prosecution, oppositions and cancellations, maintenance and enforcement
- Experience with counseling on copyright and right of publicity matters
- Experience with domain name portfolio management and enforcement actions, including UDRP proceedings, and familiarity with ICANN preferred
- Experience with drafting and negotiating intellectual property agreements
- Excellent undergraduate and law school academic credentials
- Excellent judgment, counseling, and negotiation skills
- Excellent communication and relationship management skills
- Ability to balance business and legal needs and manage multiple projects at one time
- Leadership abilities coupled with strong personal accountability and initiative
- J.D. from an accredited law school required
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Back to top