Innovation Developer - Philadelphia Innovation Center
During 2016, Vanguard committed to establish a centralized Innovation Center within the Strategy division. The commitment was made in response to the rapidly changing world, where emerging technologies are making it easier for start-ups to offer investment products and services, and in recognition it is often times difficult for entrepreneurial ideas and approaches to take shape in large, legacy organizations. The Innovation Center will complement the work that is taking shape within business lines, while also acting as a window for Vanguard into the outside world by establishing and maintaining relationships with key participants in the innovation ecosystem. It will offer dedicated space for crew to explore nascent technologies, study new business models, and introduce new problem solving methods to address unmet client needs in an unconstrained way.
The Innovation Developer works within key workstreams on the innovation center's strategic agenda. Unlike traditional Developer roles, this one will include full participation and collaboration within the cross-functional innovation teams, including (but not limited to): brainstorming ideas and formulating hypotheses, and performing data analysis to validate needs. This position is be based in our new location at 23rd & Chestnut St. in Center City Philadelphia.
Job Summary - To provide intermediate level system analysis, design, development, and implementation of applications and databases for mainframe-, client/server-, Web-, and/or PC-based systems, under supervision of a more senior developer.
To provide systems analysis, design, and implementation of applications, databases and other modern software workloads.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contributes to pipeline of ideas coming from the innovation center.
- Builds a strong understanding of common innovation discovery and production techniques (i.e. human centered design, system thinking, lean enterprise), pipeline management tools, and proof of concept evaluation criteria. Couples this understanding with knowledge of competitive dynamics, industry trends, policy changes, demographic, social, and technology trends that may impact our ability to create and sustain an innovation portfolio over time. Keeps current on emerging FinTech trends and technology capabilities/tools.
- Develops and maintains strong collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Make recommendations for improvements to our capabilities and working models.
- Models and applies integrated thinking and practices, with emphasis on expansive thinking, collaboration, creativity, iterative learning, system thinking, omni-channel delivery, and intersecting client needs with business goals and technology capabilities.
- Captures learnings from each project. Based on results, makes recommendations to improve metrics over time.
- Identifies creative technology solutions to business challenges and implements them using the appropriate technology.
Experience with one or more of the following technologies:
- IaaS or PaaS (AWS / Heroku)
- Machine learning frameworks (Tensorflow, Keras, Theano, Torch)
- Test automation experience (Cucumber, Jasmine)
- Design thinking / LEAN methodology/DevOps framework
Education & Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience
- Minimum 3 years developer or systems analyst experience
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong analysis and problem solving skills
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Vanguard is not offering sponsorship for this position*
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Shelley produces creative recruitment marketing campaigns in order to share Vanguard’s brand, mission, events and culture with new talent in the industry.
Back to top