Innovation Developer I - Center City, Philadelphia
During 2016, Vanguard committed to establish a centralized Innovation Center within the Strategy division. The commitment was made in response to the rapidly changing world, where emerging technologies are making it easier for start-ups to offer investment products and services, and in recognition it is often times difficult for entrepreneurial ideas and approaches to take shape in large, legacy organizations. The Innovation Center will complement the work that is taking shape within business lines, while also acting as a window for Vanguard into the outside world by establishing and maintaining relationships with key participants in the innovation ecosystem. It will offer dedicated space for crew to explore nascent technologies, study new business models, and introduce new problem solving methods to address unmet client needs in an unconstrained way.
The Innovation Developer works within key workstreams on the innovation center's strategic agenda. Unlike traditional Developer roles, this one will include full participation and collaboration within the cross-functional innovation teams, including (but not limited to): brainstorming ideas and formulating hypotheses, and performing data analysis to validate needs. This position is be based in our new location at 23rd & Chestnut St. in Center City Philadelphia.
Job Summary - To provide entry level system analysis, design, development, and implementation of applications and databases for mainframe-, client/server-, Web-, and/or PC-based systems, with the direction and close supervision of a more senior developer.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides entry level system analysis, design, development, and implementation of applications and databases for mainframe-, client/server-, Web-, and/or PC-based software or middleware. Integrates third party products.
- Translates technical specifications, and/or logical and physical design into code for new or enhancement projects for internal clients. Develops code and test artifacts that reuse subroutines or objects, is well structured, backed by automated tests, includes sufficient comments and is easy to maintain. Writes programs, appropriate test artifacts, ad hoc queries, and reports. Employs contemporary software development techniques to ensure tests are implemented in a way that supports automation.
- Elevates code into the development, test, and Production environments on schedule. Provides follow up Production support.
- Learns and follows software development methodology. Learns and follows architecture standards.
- Participates in design, code, and test Inspections throughout life cycle to identify issues. Participates in other meetings, such as those for use case creation.
- Participates in systems analysis activities, including system requirements analysis and definition (e.g., prototyping), and logical and physical design.
- Writes the system/technical portion of assigned deliverables, including the Version Description Document. Assists technical team members with the system/technical portion of their deliverables (e.g., Systems Testers, test plans). On small teams, the Developer may write these items.
- Learns client business functions and technology needs. Learns Vanguard's tools, technologies, and applications/databases, including those that interface with business area and systems.
- Learns and complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established milestones. Learns and complies with all Information Security policies and procedures.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience
- 0 - 2 years general business experience, including 0 - 1 year developer or systems analyst experience
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Good analysis and problem solving skills
- Good attention to detail
Working knowledge of the following development practices and concepts:
- Systems analysis and design techniques
- System/subsystem requirements
- Libraries, reusable code, and/or object oriented standards
- Screen, report, and query design
Working knowledge of current versions of the following products:
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Working knowledge of one or more development tools and programming languages in the SOE/SDE list:
Working knowledge of one or more IT platforms:
- Working knowledge of one or more testing tools, performance tools, and scripting languages in the SOE/SDE list, preferred:
- Weekday coverage: Regularly scheduled 5-day week, Mon. - Fri., normal business hours.
- On call and remote support off hours: if shown Comments section.
- Travel: For Charlotte, NC-based staff, limited travel to Valley Forge, PA is required for new employee orientation, project kickoff meetings, other meetings, and training.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Shelley produces creative recruitment marketing campaigns in order to share Vanguard’s brand, mission, events and culture with new talent in the industry.
Back to top