Infrastructure Engineer - Middleware
Invest in your future.
The successful candidate will be responsible for providing technical leadership for the engineering, administration, and support of a large web infrastructure running 300+ web applications. The infrastructure landscape includes middle-ware components including but not limited to Web-servers, Applications and Queue Messaging. The candidate will need to build and leverage strong relationships across our hosting and application development teams, and mentor junior engineering team members to become platform experts.
We are looking for a candidate who will be proactive in identifying opportunities for improvement, has a passion for automation, and will provide innovative thought leadership. Lastly, the candidate should be knowledgeable and forward thinking in order to support the enterprise goal of risk avoidance, stability, resilience and high availability.
In this role you will:
- Attending architecture review discussions as web infrastructure SME.
- Expert knowledge on web and middleware technologies (i.e. Apache, Tomcat/tcServer, Websphere Application Server, Java 8+, and IBM WebSphere MQ)
- Establishes and ensures standards compliance, corporate security, policy/procedures
- Exploring the use of new technologies to improve the services the team offers.
- Provides technical expertise for developing detailed project plans and tracks project progress.
- Provide leadership, mentoring, and knowledge transfer to junior engineers
- Provide Level Tier 3 technical support and resolutions for issues escalated from Tier 1 & Tier 2.
- Evaluates the organization's existing infrastructure technology and researches and analyzes trends.
- Implements changes to the infrastructure technology that enhance its reliability and efficiency
- Managing infrastructure incidents to resolution within the required SLA.
- Processing infrastructure requests for service within the SLA.
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services, Automation, Containerization, and Orchestration tools a plus
- On call rotation required, some nights and weekend work may be required based upon business needs.
What it takes:
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Eight years' experience in technical specialty, including three to four years' hardware/software configuration and troubleshooting experience.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Expert knowledge of the following product support practices and concepts: infrastructure design , wide range of technologies within specialty, full project delivery life cycle, IT service level agreements, performance monitoring, tuning, and debugging (e.g., GTF traces, and region and transaction dumps), software and peripheral installation, network protocols (e.g., TCP/IP and ACCP), process/product testing and verification, software and/or hardware setup and configuration , computer networking, technical standards and deliverables, system log files, tasks, account management, and commands.
- Expert knowledge of one or more IT platforms and products: See additional information for the specific requirements for this posting
Vanguard is not providing sponsorship for this position
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Back to top