Head of Strategic Sourcing
The Strategy and Finance division is home to Vanguard's experts in Corporate Financial Services, Fund Financial Services, Internal Audit and Corporate Strategy. Our crew are high caliber professionals who provide financial and decision support leadership to all businesses at Vanguard across the globe. Integrity is key – as stewards of fund assets and Vanguard's assets, we must protect data, mitigate risk, stay competitive, and proactively establish business initiatives, all while returning value to clients. Strategy and Finance is a talent destination for exceptional financial minds looking to be part of a best-in-class organization that is one of Vanguard's most trusted voices. Vanguard is currently recruiting for a Head of Strategic Sourcing to provide leadership and oversight over category management, supplier negotiations, and strategic spend for Vanguard Group, Inc., and its subsidiaries.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Manage and develop staff by providing guidance, training, and motivation necessary to develop staff. Hires, terminates, evaluates, and counsels personnel. Sets performance standards, reviews performance, provides regular and ongoing feedback.
- Guides and influences Managing Directors, senior divisional leaders, and business partners on supply and demand strategies across all categories, soliciting trust and authority based on deep expertise in all Vanguard-relevant suppliers and categories.
- Acts as a thought leader, developing long-term category strategies that drive significant value on Vanguard's $1.8 billion of third-party spend.
- Acts as a financial steward and strongly align with long-term enterprise-wide financial goal.
- Collaborates with Head of Sourcing Operations for annual pipeline planning and resource allocation.
- Ensures objectivity of sourcing process and serves as an escalation point for conflicts regarding sourcing objectivity.
- Oversees and maintains accountability for the development of the Strategic Sourcing business plan and budget, as well as coaching direct reports (Category Managers) in developing a Profit and Loss (P&L) mindset.
- Develops and implements operational plans to achieve departmental and corporate objectives.
- Responsible for providing input for triaging engagements.
- Makes staffing decisions and utilizes succession planning to accelerate crew development.
- Maintains an in-depth understanding of Vanguard and industry knowledge by keeping current on Vanguard, fund, industry, and regulatory events.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate should possess:
- 10-15+ years' experience in category management
- Master's degree or equivalent combination of training and experience
- Experience overseeing and participating in a large-scale organizational transformation
- Experience managing a Profit and Loss (P&L) or equivalent
- Strategic agility, particularly in fast paced, ambiguous environment working with a large crew of multiple skillsets
- Ability to act as a high-level influencer by bringing thought leadership to stakeholders (both internal and external to Vanguard)
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal, and motivation skills
- Demonstrated commitment to developing staff skills and building capabilities
- Individual will represent Vanguard in supplier negotiations alongside business leaders. Maintains expertise in all 5 relevant categories: IT, Banking and Investment-Related Services, Professional Services, Crew-Related [HR], and Office G&A.
- Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Shelley produces creative recruitment marketing campaigns in order to share Vanguard’s brand, mission, events and culture with new talent in the industry.
Back to top