Head of Retail Competitive Strategy
- Malvern, PA
Head of Retail Competitive Strategy
Vanguard's Retail Investor Group (RIG) gives eight million like-minded investors across the U.S. the best chance for financial success by offering compelling investment products, advice, and client experiences. We cut through the complexity of investing and stand for what's right on behalf of our client-owners.
We are seeking a highly accomplished, strategic, and influential leader to be the Head of Competitive Strategy for our retail division. As a senior leader in the Retail Offer Strategy department accountable to the Retail Investor Group leadership team, you'll oversee a team of Strategy Analysts in driving strategic decisions on Vanguard's posture and actions in the retail investor market by developing proactive, actionable thought leadership on competitors, consumers, and the industry.
In this role, you will:
- Be a thought partner to our most senior retail executives on market and competitor trends, strategies, and actions.
- Develop and communicate perspectives and strategic recommendations on the near-to-long-term implications of market and competitive activity that shapes our retail business strategy and product offer.
- Uncover consumer behaviors, attitudes, and preferences within and beyond the financial services industry that will evolve our understanding of investor needs.
- Predict and develop perspectives on potential fintech innovations and disruptions that will shape Vanguard's business strategy over the next several years.
- Translate insights into strategic recommendations and artifacts for the Head of the Retail Investor Group and her team.
- Partner closely with Vanguard's Corporate Strategy department and Innovation Studio to align on key trends, competitor strategies, and industry innovations.
- Build and manage the retail intelligence ecosystem and platform and ensure integration with the broader Vanguard intelligence and thought leadership communities.
Fulfilling Your Mission
This group shares in Vanguard's mission to take a stand for all investors. You will support this mission by:
- Possessing a deep understanding of the retail financial services market, traditional and fintech competitors, and consumers.
- Exhibiting expertise in consumer, competitive, and strategic analysis and non-traditional intelligence approaches.
- Cultivating relationships across the retail division and with key enterprise partners including Corporate Strategy, the Innovation Studio, the Center for Analytics and Insights, and the Center for Investor Research.
- Influencing senior leaders across functional teams through robust analysis, sound solutions, and compelling verbal and written communication.
- Operating with a strong drive for results and bias for action and speed.
- Attracting, developing, and engaging top-tier talent.
What it takes:
- Undergraduate degree required; MBA from a top-tier program strongly preferred.
- Minimum of eight years business experience, including significant experience in strategy consulting and development.
- Exceptional leadership, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including strong presentation skills to senior management.
- Deep understanding of Vanguard's primary business strategy in at least two of its five business segments.
- Excellent project management and prioritization skills.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Back to top