Head of Mutual Fund Operations
Financial Advisor Services (FAS) is one of four business lines within Vanguard, and is dedicated to serving the third-party distribution channel, including registered investment advisors, broker dealers, banks, etc. FAS is a fast-growing, expanding business within Vanguard, and today represents AUM of more than $1.8T.
Mutual fund operations is a critical operational function within FAS. The Mutual Fund Administration (MFA) group supports all of the transfer agency and shareholder servicing functions for mutual fund distribution through intermediaries and handles over $1T in fund transactions annually.
MFA is adding a Head of Mutual Fund Administration Operations to lead the group through growth. This senior leader will develop, implement and manage a strategy for operations while overseeing a team of ~110 at a wide range of levels. The incumbent will apply deep and broad knowledge of MFA operations to ensure operational excellence, sharpen our focus on our clients, unlock our team's full potential and continue to shape a high performing culture.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Serves as leader of senior leaders, providing strategic direction, vision, and coaching to leaders within MFA. Effectively manages performance and actively develops direct reports. Manages staff, including cross-site managers. Provides guidance, training and motivation as necessary to develop staff and meet project deliverables. Evaluates, hires, and counsels personnel. Follows corporate disciplinary procedures per established Vanguard standards as required. Sets performance standards, reviews performance, provides feedback, and recommends wage increases in accordance with all applicable Human Resource policies and procedures.
- Leads and manages various operations related functions, including contact center, manual processing, automated processing, resource planning, resolution services, and large transaction reporting. Ensures that all daily administrative and operations functions are completed as required by business standards and industry and regulatory guidelines, and support the evolution of those functions as the business and regulatory environments change.
- Oversees Vanguard's interface with the DTCC as well as use of proprietary systems such as ETS and ITWS.
- Demonstrates initiative and creativity in developing strategic plans and goals for FAS MFA Operations; provides support and guidance to Department Head by assessing internal and external client needs as a basis for recommending service enhancements while addressing the regulatory and operational related risks that are inherent in transfer agent operations. Looks for ways to control costs while minimizing reputation and monetary risks to FAS and Vanguard overall. Adapts goals and strategies as market structure, business opportunities or regulations change.
- Participates in aspects of annual business planning and long-term strategic direction for the department and Vanguard. Understands the financial dynamics of the business forecast and proactively manages business segment and headcount appropriately.
- Maintains an appropriate level of Vanguard and industry knowledge; keeps current on Vanguard and policies and objectives; continues to expand knowledge of the business and industry; keeps current on the competition.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree required. Advanced degree or certification preferred.
- Minimum of 10+ years of related experience, including progressive management responsibilities. Minimum 5 years of supervisory experience in the financial markets environment.
- Proven ability to demonstrate executive presence and to influence others in the industry.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal and motivational skills.
- Proven ability to improve the business through positive and productive change.
- Detailed knowledge of the financial industry including the rules and regulations that govern the markets.
- Deep understanding of securities industry operations and regulations.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position
Back to top