Head of Category Management - Information Technology (IT)
The Finance division is home to crew and leaders who drive sustainable value across the global enterprise. Our high caliber professionals serve as trusted and influential strategic partners to business leaders across the organization in the areas of financial modeling, fiscal responsibility, product development and administration, risks and controls, real estate and facilities management, and enterprise supply management.
Our strong focus on value creation across the enterprise is equaled by our unwavering commitment to creating a culture and environment that maximizes the impact and potential of crew, and develops future generations of leaders in the organization.
Vanguard's Finance division is a talent destination for exceptional financial professionals looking to be part of a best-in-class organization that is one of Vanguard's most trusted voices. The Supply Management team within the Finance Division is currently seeking a Senior Category Manager specializing in Information Technology.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Manage and develop technical specialists (Category Strategists) with demonstrated expertise in sourcing third-party suppliers within the Information Technology (IT) category. Hire, evaluate and counsel personnel. Set performance standards, review performance, provide regular and ongoing feedback.
- Acts as thought leader who develops and executes long-term strategies related to the selection and management of third-party suppliers. Develops strategic proposals based on optimal product concentrations and ideal vendor relationships to drive maximum value.
- Leads complex sourcing engagements and/or guides sourcing professionals for complex sourcing engagements.
- Participates in negotiations as a Vanguard expert in the IT category. Provides input to supplier performance evaluations, and supplier corrective actions.
- Develops/refines vendor strategy using industry analysis, vendor performance, and cost models supported by deep expertise of suppliers and industry.
- Collaborates with business unit leaders to understand business unit objectives.
- Participates in annual sourcing pipeline planning with Finance Directors and Divisions.
- Engages risk stakeholders as needed for sourcing activity.
- Ensures best practices in the sourcing process are followed. Develops, refines, and manages tactical and strategic policies and procedures. Develops continuous improvement programs.
- Identifies, evaluates, and develops new reliable sources for existing or new products where vendors are inadequate.
- Maintains an in-depth understanding of Vanguard and industry knowledge by keeping current on Vanguard, fund, industry, and regulatory events.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate should possess:
- 10+ years' experience working in a category-relevant organization, including 5+ years extensive experience working with vendors and including credible experience negotiating with large vendors
- Master's degree or equivalent combination of training and experience
- Excellent understanding of how business needs drive category requirements
- Demonstrated deep technical expertise
- Experience managing large, complex vendor relationships that cover multiple products and services
- Experience working with a diverse set of category-relevant internal business constituents
- Ability to act as a thought leader and strategic thinker to partner with stakeholders across a range of levels and organizations
- Extensive knowledge of market characteristics, cost and fee structures, competitive environment and key trends
- Deep industry knowledge and experience in specific spend category (Information Technology) is critical.
- Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Brokerage Investment Professional, Malvern, PA
Claire ensures that Vanguard clients have all the important and necessary industry information in order to make the best decisions for their personal investments.
Back to top