Government Relations, Senior Manager Europe
To help the European Office of General Counsel leadership team stay abreast of and formulate the development of Vanguard's positions on and response to policy, legislative and regulatory developments throughout Europe. To protect and advance Vanguard's interests in policy, legislative and regulatory matters with European and global policymakers and regulators, as appropriate
Duties & Responsibilities :
- Advances the interests of Vanguard and its shareholders, clients and crew with policymakers and regulators based in Europe. Acts as an effective ambassador for Vanguard policy positions.
- Undertakes political, legislative and regulatory analysis.
- Provides high quality verbal and written reports on issues and activities relevant to coverage areas. Prepares issue backgrounders, talking points, position papers, meeting reports and other materials.
- Works closely with internal stakeholders to understand Vanguard's business interests as they relate to political, legislative and regulatory developments. Involves subject matter experts as appropriate. Provides a public policy overlay to responses to consultation papers/policy statements being produced by internal subject matter experts. Handles routine business as usual enquiries from the business.
- Establishes, nurtures and deepens relationships with policymakers, regulators and their staff.
- Strategically engages with appropriate coalitions, trade associations, external stakeholders, consultants, peers and others.
- Works closely with Head of Government Relations, Europe, European Office of General Counsel leadership team, European Leadership Team, global Government Relations colleagues and external public policy consultants to develop and execute strategic objectives.
- Assists in the planning, preparation and communication in respect of political and regulatory visits and periodic requests, working closely with the Head of Compliance, Europe where relevant.
- Represents European Government Relations on relevant Vanguard business committees and before senior management.
- Leads and executes a variety of special projects as requested by the Head of Government Relations, Europe.
- Relevant undergraduate degree or equivalent experience required.
- Minimum of 5 years of related business experience.
- High-level knowledge of EU, FCA and CBI rules and regulations relevant to asset management.
- Excellent political acumen and detailed understanding of how policymaking works in Europe.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills that command the respect of business partners, leaders and external stakeholders. An ability to effectively engage with and influence members of different political parties.
- Very strong critical thinking, analytical skills and ability to grasp complex issues; collaborative approach.
- Excellent planning, organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to function in a deadline oriented, fast paced and rapidly changing environment. Effectively handles multiple priorities and initiatives.
- Intellectually attuned to financial services issues. Strong knowledge of financial services industry.
- Commitment to Vanguard's core purpose and values.
- Business fluent in English and one of either French or German language (business proficiently in all three would be ideal).
Special Factors :
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
London, Paris or Frankfurt with frequent travel to Brussels
Back to top