Global Investment Data Architect
- Malvern, PA
AWS says that "choosing a database is one of the most important decisions you will make in your application architecture. The type of database you choose will affect the access patterns you can handle, the performance of your application, and the operations for which your team will be responsible."
The investment data architect develops investment domain specific cloud data blueprints and designs for new line of business initiatives to cover functional and non-functional requirements. The candidate equips durable product teams to select databases and to structure the data within those databases according to access patterns for optimal performance. A data architect develops reference architectures, and designs guidelines and guardrails for investment data management.
Duties and Responsibilities
Collaborate with investment technology solution architects and technical leads on the durable product teams to
- Establish bounded contexts for the business data in scope of the products
- Identify and leverage certified trusted business data as provisioning points
- Define the data access patterns to the data in scope
- Determine the AWS fit for purpose data store / database to persist the data in the cloud
- Determine the appropriate sizing and scaling pattern for the data in the selected database services
- Develop the data models and data structures according to the data access pattern appropriate to the selected database services
- Ensure cloud data architecture reference architecture and patterns are adhered and expand them as needed for new use cases
Create new and expand existing investment data architecture and design patterns for the durable product teams across the investment technology department
Create new and expand existing field of use guidelines and best practices for
- Various AWS database types (NoSQL / key-value (DynamoDB), Relational (Aurora, RDS, & Redshift), in-memory (ElastiCache), and graph (Neptune)) for persisting investment data in the cloud
- Various AWS analytics managed services (Athena, EMR, Kinesis, Glue, Quicksight, DataBrew) for persisting and wrangling investment data in the cloud
Establish and maintain strong partnership with
- Senior investment business partners and senior investment technology leaders to advance the shared business goals and objectives
- Senior shared technology services leaders to ensure their support with platforms and reference architectures to advance the investment business goals and objectives
- Investment business data governance partners colleagues to catalog, manage, and govern data primarily persisted in the cloud in Collibra
Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
• Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of training and experience.
• Minimum 7+ years relevant work experience with 3+ years of experience as a data architect
• Experience designing and delivering financial services investment related solutions for business operations and operational analytics
• Experience designing data solutions taking into account the functional requirements as well as the system qualities such as availability, performance, scalability, consistency, and concurrency.
• Experiencing designing and delivering polyglot cloud data solutions with the two or more of the following database types: relational, key-value, in-memory, document, graph, time series, or ledger. Experience with AWS database services is preferred.
• Experience designing and developing a variety of cloud analytics solutions. Experience with AWS analytics services is preferred.
• Experience in sizing, performance tuning, cost optimization and of cloud compute resources and query optimization of databases.
• Experience in designing data storage architecture such as data partitioning, indexing, and compaction.
•AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional Certification is preferred.
•Strong Communication and Presentation skills
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Back to top