Global Head of Professional Practices, Internal Audit
- Wayne, PA
Vanguard's Internal Audit (IA) Department is represented by approximately 135 crew globally. The department is comprised of collaborative, hard-working, highly motivated, and technically skilled professionals who consistently deliver high-quality work in a challenging and fast-paced environment. Within Vanguard, IA is seen as a critical piece of the risk management framework and is valued as a trusted voice and indispensable partner. Additionally, IA has demonstrated a consistent track record of developing and feeding talent to the broader Business, Risk, and Finance organizations of Vanguard. IA brings a consultative and progressive approach to their work, which is predicated on a culture of enhancing risk management and business outcomes for its stakeholders, actively contributing to the development of its crew, and embracing a mindset of innovation and continuous improvement.
Reporting to the Chief Audit Executive this position will lead the Global Professional Practices (GPP) function. The Head of GPP will be responsible for creating and/or maintaining effective practices to run IA as a "business" and enabling continued innovation within IA to meet the exciting challenges of Vanguard's growth and evolution. Focusing on internal audit talent, technology, and methodology this role is responsible for attracting top talent and embedding emerging methodologies and leading practices across IA's global footprint.
In this role you will:
- Provide oversight for IA's strategic and operational activities (working in conjunction with IA Chief of Staff) and assure that the department is knowledgeable on key initiatives, outcomes, measures of success, and progress. Maintain visibility and accountability across IA senior leadership team for delivery against agreed upon strategic and operational outcomes.
- Develop and/or facilitate reporting to parent and subsidiary Audit Committees, the CEO, senior leaders, as well as, internal reporting needs as appropriate
- Leverage talent management expertise and HR partners to reach short and long term staffing goals, including annual staffing targets and strategic workforce plans. Additionally, continue to advance IA's professional development and talent pipeline agenda.
- Responsible for the graduate entry and junior auditor program, attracting talent, onboarding and internal rotational program, assessing progress, developing and nurturing through to launch within an audit team
- Set and evolve audit methodology, ensuring incorporation of current professional thought leadership and adherence to International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing and relevant International Standards
- Continue to refine the comprehensive quality assurance program to drive consistency and continuous improvement throughout audit activities, provide sound basis for reporting to key stakeholders, and conform with external QA standards
- Responsible for facilitating the maintenance of accurate and complete data to enable departmental reporting needs
- Continue to advance internal audit metrics, measuring the efficiency and effectiveness of the internal audit function
- Maintain an external network with peer organizations and professional firms
- Liaise with key partners (e.g., Office of the General Counsel, Enterprise Risk Management, Human Resources, Finance) to identify process enhancement opportunities, develop, propose and implement solutions
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned
What it takes:
- Undergraduate degree, BS or BA in a business related field of concentration, Professional certification or advanced degree (e.g., ACA CPA, CIA, MBA) preferred
- A minimum of fifteen plus years of experience, with progressive career advancement into audit leadership roles.
- Prior risk or compliance, Lean, and Agile experience is a plus
- Experience working in a large-scale global organization with exposure to International regulators
- Demonstrated leadership, interpersonal, verbal and written communication, presentation, negotiating, relationship management and complex problem solving skills
- Collegial work style with ability to listen and integrate ideas from diverse views, creating partnerships while collaborating with others
- Demonstrated track record of effectively driving change efforts
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Back to top