The Strategy and Finance division is home to Vanguard’s experts in Corporate Financial Services, Fund Financial Services, Internal Audit and Corporate Strategy. Our crew are high caliber professionals who provide financial and decision support leadership to all businesses at Vanguard across the globe. Integrity is key – as stewards of fund assets and Vanguard’s assets, we must protect data, mitigate risk, stay competitive, and proactively establish business initiatives, all while returning value to clients. Strategy and Finance is a talent destination for exceptional financial minds looking to be part of a best-in-class organization that is one of Vanguard’s most trusted voices. Vanguard is seeking a Finance Director to provide financial support to Vanguard’s most complex business areas. Financial support generally includes analytical evaluation and quantification of opportunities for decision support, administration and influence of the long-term and fiscal planning/reforecasting processes both within assigned client areas and corporately, accountability for division level accounting processes, controls and any regulatory requirements as applicable, procurement accountabilities in the areas of prioritization and process transparency, playing a leadership role in the area of supplier relationship management and other leadership responsibilities across the organization.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Manage and develop staff by providing guidance, training, and motivation necessary to develop staff. Hires, terminates, evaluates, and counsels personnel. Sets performance standards, reviews performance, provides regular and ongoing feedback
- Develops analytic methodologies for evaluating, quantifying and forecasting business unit assets, revenues, and expenses based on business drivers and employs scenario modeling methodologies to explain the impact of strategies or changes in the business environment.
- Develops knowledge of our most complex business areas (as defined by size, scope, and opportunity for impact) and their strategies, and utilizes this knowledge to propose and develop analyses that increase the financial understanding of the business, business segment, client, product and/or relevant activity.
- Develops and/or provides guidance to developers of financial models that assist business units in both tactical and strategic planning.
- Is influential across departmental lines and structures
- Attends appropriate client pricing meetings, develops client pricing models and makes recommendations regarding client pricing.
- Manages and validates the work of others.
- Develops and/or ensures the development of business case analyses for key investment initiatives.
- Disseminates timely and accurate financial information to allow for efficient use and effective control over financial resources of a business unit, project, service etc.
- Leads and administers an effective supplier management process for the business.
- Ensures division level accounting and applicable regulatory functions are managed with excellence.
- Participates and/or leads in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate should possess:
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of training and experience. MBA and/or Professional Certification preferred.
- Minimum of eight years’ experience in broad financial management functions (accounting, finance, regulatory, procurement, risk/control, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to function in a high volume/fast paced environment working with multiple and diverse responsibilities.
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills. Ability to influence across departmental lines.
- Comprehensive understanding of broad financial concepts including accounting, finance, procurement, risk and economics as appropriate.
- Experience in situations requiring diplomacy and negotiation.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills/presentation skills.
- Excellent technical skills including Microsoft Excel, Word and presentation software.
- Ability to anticipate future consequences and trends accurately.
- Knowledgeable in current and future policies, trends and information affecting Vanguard’s business.
- Track record of strong people leadership.
- Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Back to top