Employee Relations Manager
To provide timely and objective counsel to Vanguard managers and crew throughout their lifecycle with the organization, and to mitigate risk through the effective resolution of crew-related issues and fair conduct of investigations. To lead a team of Crew Relations Specialists across U.S. sites.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages a team of Crew Relations Specialists creating a strong team atmosphere. Conducts regular one-on-one meetings and provides guidance, training and motivation as necessary to develop staff. Hires, evaluates and counsels personnel. Follows corporate performance management procedures per established Vanguard standards.
- Guides Crew Relations Specialists in understanding, monitoring and resolving crew complaints. Assists with defining the approach for, and conduct of, investigations as needed. Supports Crew Relations Specialists in building their foundational knowledge and increasing advanced knowledge on employment laws/regulatory requirements and related controls.
- Provides site, division, or case-based insights to Crew Relations & Compliance CoE leadership to assist with design of strategies, frameworks, policies, and processes.
- Ensures consistent policy interpretation and application of HR policies globally. Identifies divisional or regional nuances in addressing crew-related issues and suggests potential process improvements to address these nuances while maintaining compliance with local regulations.
- Works with managers and crew as needed to understand, monitor, and resolve crew complaints and conducts investigations as needed. Takes ownership of cases characterized by a higher level of complexity and/or sensitivity and partners with Crew Relations & Compliance Leads and the HR Policy & Risk Management Lead to reach resolution while mitigating risk. Coordinates with other service organizations regarding crew matters as appropriate, including: other HR CoEs, Legal, Compliance, Fraud, Information Security, Physical Security, Audit, etc.
- Manages the involuntary exit process for crew members in conjunction with the “Exits and Separations” GPO. Conducts in-person exit interviews for involuntary departures where needed. Partners with Crew Central to efficiently process voluntary departures. Provides input into the design of the exit interview guide and criteria for exit interview analysis, and assists in analyzing exit interview data to mitigate risk and identify trends.
- Manages the PIPs/DAs process for crew members in conjunction with the “Manage Crew Relations” GPO. Provides input into the design of the PIPs/DAs policy and process and assists in analyzing PIPs/DAs data to identify trends.
- Provides objective consultative, coaching and counseling services to leaders and crew. Provides guidance to managers in addressing performance-related and/or disciplinary issues, recommends and conducts terminations as needed. Works with leaders and crew as needed to understand, monitor, and resolve crew complaints and conduct investigations as needed.
- Assists in educating HR crew, in conjunction with the Crew Relations Sr. Manager, on internal and external employee relations and employment law compliance requirements and related process controls. Works with the Crew Relations Sr. Manager on cases requiring a higher level of complexity and/or sensitivity to reach resolution while mitigating risk.
- Recommends appropriate programs for specific crew situations. Identifies and highlights benefit programs provided by the Total Rewards CoE with the highest impact to crew due to utilization and/or perceived value. Suggests ways to optimize program value.
- Provides leaders in the business with consultative support throughout the progressive investigation process by facilitating the process for either a disciplinary or performance-related issue. Provides dedicated support to both crew and leaders as needed.
- Conducts new manager assimilations as appropriate. Facilitates the unemployment process as needed. Represents Vanguard at hearings as needed.
- Assesses, monitors, and manages crew trends for book of business.
- Leads or supports initiatives that drive the Crew Relations and Compliance strategic agenda. Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of training and experience. Advanced degree in business, human resources or employment law preferred.
- Minimum of eight years of general business or HR experience. Current good standing in (or ability to achieve status within six months of hire) the SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP, HRCI PHR, or HRCI SPHR designation preferred.
- Minimum of two years of management experience, including experience managing and working with teams across locations preferred.
- Minimum of four years employee relations and/or employment law experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of applicable state and federal employment and labor laws and governmental compliance requirements, and HR policy and risk management.
- Proven ability to remain poised and professional under potentially contentious situations.
- Sensitivity in working with confidential information.
- Proven teamwork capabilities; strong relationship management and interpersonal skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent project management skills, including planning and organizational skills. Attentive to details and deadlines; ability to manage multiple initiatives.
Vanguard is not offering Visa Sponsorship for this position.
Back to top