Vanguard, one of the world's largest investment management companies seeks an US Economist for its Investment Strategy Group (ISG) to help formulate and research Vanguard's Economic and Investment Outlook, serve as resource for internal investment groups (e.g., Fixed Income Group, Investment Management) and participate in generating department-initiated topics that will be used by both internal and external clients. The position will be part of the Global Economics team within ISG. The Global Economics team formulates Vanguard's global economic and capital markets outlook and forecasts. The team also provides support to our Senior Portfolio Managers in the Fixed Income Group through economic analyses and forecasting models.
As an Economist in ISG, you'll benefit from sophisticated quantitative training, career development opportunities, a policy of promoting from within the company, and workplace flexibility. In addition to gaining a stimulating and prominent role, you'll be part of a company where doing the right thing isn't just a tagline, it's our passion.
- Conducts analytical and empirical economic research addressing a wide range of Macro policy and financial market topics of interest to external and internal Vanguard clients.
- Produces and supports creation of recurring and ad hoc ISG economic and market outlook content and related research collateral (economic and market related slides for ISG and client facing Sale executives, White Papers, research notes, blogs).
- Produces and maintains economics-related infrastructure of chart packs and tables to provide ongoing monitoring and analysis of the economic environment (predominantly in US) and of relevant financial markets.
- Provides regular briefing to Senior Economics Team (US and Global Chief Economists) and to sub-divisions such as Fixed Income Group (FIG) (locally and globally) on economic developments.
- Acts as an ambassador for ISG and Vanguard in presenting analysis and results internally and externally to clients.
- Participates in ongoing liaison with a responsibility to understand business priorities and to communicate how ISG is meeting those needs. Specifically, act as the local business liaison for the relationship between applicable sub-divisions (e.g., FIG) and ISG.
- Participates in the wider debates within the local/global team on the development of Vanguard's investment methodology and participate in related research projects as agreed. Develop recommendations on new research topics or methodology issues.
- Supports ISG's consulting services activities as required in providing support to internal clients (sales, marketing, Portfolio Review Group (PRD), Public Relations, etc).
- Oversees junior crew as required either in a direct line management capacity or in an informal leadership/mentoring role.
- Actively participates in team initiatives to improve the efficiency with which the team carries out its activities.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Masters degree in Economics, Finance or related disciplines, or an equivalent combination of Undergraduate degree and relevant work experience.
- Minimum 3 years business experience. Investment experience with specific responsibility for investment research and/or determining investment policy preferred.
- Solid knowledge of economic, global capital markets, and investment concepts.
- Exceptionally strong technical and analytical skills, including economic modeling and econometric techniques.
- •Strong writing and presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently on multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Excellent computer skills, including broad knowledge of all MS Office software. Programming and familiarity with econometric software preferred.
- Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Shelley produces creative recruitment marketing campaigns in order to share Vanguard’s brand, mission, events and culture with new talent in the industry.
Back to top