Economic Researcher, Investment Strategy Group (Ph.D.)
Advance the investment industry
At Vanguard, we always look after the best interests of investors. As an Economic Researcher in our Investment Strategy Group, you'll use your real passion for research to deepen the quality of insights that will directly impact the financial future of our investors.
Are you a Ph.D. in economics and finance? Your research expertise will be used to develop proprietary investment strategies to benefit individual investors, institutional clients, the consulting community, the media and policymakers.
We have two opportunities:
Investment Strategy Group (Lifecycle savings, retirement security)
Vanguard serves a large number of individual investors, in the U.S. and abroad, whose investment objectives include the financing of old-age retirement security and other goals across the lifecycle. Do you have a strong interest in areas such as lifecycle modeling, tax-efficient investing, optimal portfolio choice, and post-retirement decision-making? Consider joining efforts with Vanguard, one of the world's largest investment companies.
Investment Strategy Group (Macroeconomics)
Our economics team formulates Vanguard's global economic and capital markets outlook and forecasts. In this role you will support our senior portfolio managers in our fixed income group through economic analyses and forecasting models. You'll bring expertise in empirical macroeconomics, time-series econometrics, estimated DSGE models, Bayesian methods, macro-finance yield curve models, and related disciplines.
On this track, you will
- Engage in high-impact proprietary research assignments, in dependently and in collaboration with investment strategy and business teams to contribute to the most integral function at Vanguard
- Use your advanced research skills to seize new opportunities and identify critical insights for Vanguard
- Be a voice for a company that stands up for its investors, ready to share your expertise with clients, the media, industry groups, policymakers, and internally with investment and business partners
- Keep up to speed with and foresee industry trends, market activity, and regulatory change, and ensure our investment strategies address them
Step forward with a global market leader
At Vanguard, we're changing how the world invests, and you'll make sure that message comes across loud and clear through your research. A trusted authority, internally as well as externally, you'll guide management and business clients on cutting-edge investment strategies that will impact lifecycle savings and retirement security. In this high-profile role, you'll use your analytical skills, as well as your essential communication skills to build your own profile alongside ours. Together we're a powerful force for change and progress.
What it takes
- Undergraduate degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience. MBA and/or CFA, PhD required.
- Minimum five years overall business experience including at least three years direct investment experience. Solid knowledge of capital markets and investment concepts.
- Exceptionally strong technical and analytical skills.
- Ability to write effectively.
- Ability to work independently on multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Excellent computer skills, including broad knowledge of all MS Office software, Matlab and Python.
Vanguard is not offering sponsorship for this position.
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Back to top