Divisional Compliance Leader, Investment Management Group
Advance the investment industry
Vanguard's core purpose is to take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success. In support of our innovative, multi-faceted and highly regulated business lines, Vanguard's Compliance Department encounters a wide range of complex and compelling issues while providing exceptional, high-value business partnership and compliance support.
To support its growing and evolving investment offerings, Vanguard seeks a highly skilled compliance professional to lead our Fund & Advisor Compliance team supporting our Investment Management Group. This compliance leader will manage a dynamic compliance environment and maintain a comprehensive fund and advisor compliance program framework for Vanguard. A leader in this role will work directly with Vanguard's enterprise Chief Compliance Officer and sit on the senior Compliance leadership team. The role also includes the title and responsibility of Chief Compliance Officer for Vanguard Global Advisers, LLC, a Vanguard subsidiary that serves as investment advisor for certain offshore clients (separate accounts) and funds.
Vanguard is an employer of choice that continually invests in the growth, development and success of its employees over the course of their Vanguard careers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages a team of compliance professionals. Provides guidance, training and motivation as necessary to develop staff. Reviews performance, provides feedback and recommends wage increases/adjustments in accordance with the applicable policies and procedures.
- Works to that ensure that Vanguard has adopted policies and procedures that are reasonably designed to prevent violations of federal securities laws, that the policies and procedures are adequate to accomplish that purpose and that the policies and procedures are effectively implemented for this purpose.
- Partners closely with Vanguard's Chief Investment Officer and the CIO's leadership team, Vanguard's Legal Department and critical control partners to analyze compliance risks, to resolve potential compliance issues and to ensure that policies and procedures supporting compliance activities are well developed, maintained and controlled.
- Manages, coordinates, and ensures readiness for regulatory examinations. Acts as a liaison for the examiners, coordinates the gathering and production of requested documentation and meetings, etc. Retains backup files for future reference.
- Develops and maintains a broad knowledge and awareness of the investment industry, regulatory and/or policy changes with potential impact on compliance monitoring or reporting. Serves as a technical expert on compliance issues.
- Provides leadership and strategic direction for compliance related matters. Collaborates with business area leaders supporting compliance activities to sustain and strengthen compliance with FINRA, SEC and other regulatory agencies through the design, implementation and periodic review of the compliance program.
- Manages effective working relationships across Vanguard and with regulatory agencies by developing, maintaining, and broadening lines of communication between, and with, business leaders, the Legal Department, the Chief Compliance Officer, and other control groups.
- Develops and delivers required reporting to business leaders and the Chief Compliance Officer. As applicable, assists in the development of quarterly and annual reporting to the Board through the Chief Compliance Officer.
- Leads, manages and oversees a variety of projects related to compliance activities across the company. Handles multiple projects simultaneously from conception through execution and implementation. Coordinates, prioritizes and actively manages tasks as needed to meet project timelines. Leads, plans and facilitates project meetings, communicates with relevant stakeholders, ensures requirements and priorities are understood and monitors and report on progress.
- Participates in the development of departmental budget. Estimates costs for headcount, staffing issues, current volumes, forecasts for anticipated volumes and related operational expenses to implement annual objectives/performance improvements and ensures the Compliance Department operates within established budgetary guidelines. Approves expenses within established limits.
- Works with business contacts and/or Vanguard University to design, develop, and deliver compliance-oriented training to continuously develop compliance knowledge, skills and competencies.
- Participates in special projects and perform other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of training and experience. Professional certification or advanced degree (e.g., CPA, CIA, MBA, JD) preferred.
- Minimum of ten years of industry experience with compliance, auditing or legal background. Experience overseeing global compliance functions preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience with SEC and CFTC preferred.
- Excellent relationship management and verbal and written communication skills. Ability to interact with senior business leaders, including Vanguard's CIO and the heads of fixed income and equity investment groups. Experience in managing external regulatory relationships preferred.
- Excellent planning, analytical and time management skills.
- Demonstrated track record of self-initiated program development and program management.
- Proven project management and leadership skills.
- Ability to quickly learn a new regulatory and compliance environment and to lead the development of a new structured compliance program.
- Ability to work independently and autonomously, with a limited amount of direction, yet collaboratively as part of a senior leadership team.
- As required, ability to obtain any necessary licenses within 6 months.
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Back to top