Are you a DevOps engineer (or aspiring to become one), interested in bridging the disciplines of software development, deployment, and operations? The Universal Provisioning Team (UPT) is the team for you!
Our goal is to modernize, streamline, and automate. We bring in new technologies, and write state of the art tools. We need a DevOps engineer with strong Amazon Web Services experience to build AWS-based services that support packaging and deployment of our custom Java applications to both cloud-based and on-prem environments.
Duties and Responsibilities:
In this role, you'll work collaboratively with software engineers to deploy and operate our systems. Help automate and streamline our operations and processes. Build and maintain tools for deployment, monitoring and operations. And troubleshoot and resolve issues in our dev, test and production environments. This team has a cross-sectional view cutting across several hundred applications in a large area of Vanguard. You will be uniquely positioned to understand and support a wide range of problem sets across several departments. We develop strong contacts within the Technology Operations area, with crew members who build and maintain servers, databases, and networks. You will have the opportunity to work on transforming application deployments from custom code packaging to containerization. Many of the tools in our toolbox are AWS-based. A great deal of time is spent communicating and teaching, developing relationships and understanding the technology problems of other teams.
• Background in Linux/Unix administration
• Experience with automation/configuration management using Ansible, Puppet/Chef or equivalent
• Ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and cloud services (experience with AWS)
• Strong experience with SQL: Oracle, Postgres, MySQL
• A working understanding of code and script (Python, Perl, PHP and/or Ruby)
• Knowledge of best practices and IT operations in an always-up, always-available service
• Innate troubleshooting skills preferred
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provides intermediate level system analysis, design, development, and implementation of applications and databases for mainframe-, client/server-, Web-, and/or PC-based software or middleware. Integrates third party products.
2. Translates technical specifications, and/or logical and physical design into code for new or enhancement projects for internal clients. Develops code and test artifacts that reuse subroutines or objects, is well structured, backed by automated tests, includes sufficient comments and is easy to maintain. Writes programs, appropriate test artifacts, ad hoc queries, and reports. Employs contemporary software development techniques to ensure tests are implemented in a way that supports automation.
3. Elevates code into the development, test, and Production environments on schedule. Provides follow up Production support. Submits change control requests and documents.
4. Follows software development methodology. Follows architecture standards.
5. Participates in design, code, and test Inspections throughout life cycle to identify issues. Participates in other meetings, such as those for use case creation.
6. Participates in systems analysis activities, including system requirements analysis and definition (e.g., prototyping), and logical and page design.
7. Writes the system/technical portion of assigned deliverables, including the Version Description Document. Assists technical team members with the system/technical portion of their deliverables (e.g.,systems testers, test plans). On small teams, the developer may write these items.
8. Understands client business functions and technology needs. Understands Vanguard's tools, technologies, and applications/databases, including those that interface with business area and systems.
9. Complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established milestones. Complies with all Information Security policies and procedures, and verifies deliverables meet Information Security requirements.
10. Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
1. Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience
2. Minimum 3 years developer or systems analyst experience
3. Strong written and oral communication skills
4. Strong analysis and problem solving skills
5. Strong planning and organizational skills
6. Intermediate knowledge of the following development practices and concepts:
- Quality assurance methodology and Inspections
- Use case standards
- Systems analysis and design techniques
- System/subsystem requirements
- Libraries, reusable code, and/or object oriented standards
- Screen, report, and query design
- Microsoft Office Suite
- This is a wonderful role to be in to understand the technology and applications in the organization holistically. Many crew members who transitioned from this team have moved into several areas of Vanguard spanning from developers and architects to cloud operations and systems administration. The broad range of downstream options is made possible by how many different applications and subsystems our team has the opportunity to touch and get familiar with on a day-to-day basis, working in this group.
Vanguard is not offering sponsorship for this position.
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Back to top