Development Chapter Lead in Retail
- Malvern, PA
Own the build the products that are changing an industry
At Vanguard, As part of Retail's New Ways of Working Transformation, the Development Chapter Lead (DCL) leads a group of individuals within a discipline or proficiency (e.g., developers), focuses on skill / people development, and continuous improvement of the overall Chapter discipline. This includes developing its members through peer-coaching, training and mentoring, ensuring that teams have the capabilities needed to succeed, and building knowledge and enabling standard methodology sharing within their Chapter. It will impact the way the world invests! Are you ready to make it count?
In this role you will:
- Develop and manage organizational expertise in their/her area of knowledge
- Define professional standards / work methodology within the Chapter competence
- Serves as a guide in the area where they/she is the person with highest level of knowledge
- Drives consistency of the knowledge and skills of the Chapter, sharing best practices and common challenges in their/her cell and others
- Manage and develop capabilities within their Chapter through coaching, training, and mentoring
- Define and evolve capability building roadmap for Chapter members at both the individual and aggregate levels
- Develop Chapter members over time to create "T-shaped" profiles while steering development to match organizational demand of capability and skill
- Manages progression planning for Chapter members and coordinates with them on their long-term professional development
- Manages structure and people of the Chapter, evaluating needs of the different teams and organizing support
- Performance manage and evaluate Chapter members
- Resolve organizational issues of keeping the Chapter members at work, including planning and accounting for absences
- Supports HR in seeking and obtaining talent
- As a player-coach, spends ~60% of their time practicing the discipline as an individual contributor on a team (none of their Chapter members should be on their team)
Bring invention to investing
You'll continuously deliver imaginative solutions that also satisfy business needs. Your fresh ideas will directly impact one of our strategic focus areas and help us redefine the world of mutual funds. Your analytical approach to problem-solving, underpinned by strong interpersonal skills, will make you a valuable member of a reciprocal team that shares ideas and solves problems in new ways. And at every stage of the process you'll enjoy many opportunities to deepen your knowledge and widen your experience.
What it takes:
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience
- 5+ years data development (design, code, test, deploy) experience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong data analysis skills
Specializations that'll make an impact:
- Experience with DB2, Oracle, AWS S3, DynamoDB, and Hive.
- Experience with CI/CD pipeline tools like Bamboo, Jenkins.
- Experience with Test Driven Development.
- AWS certification is preferable: AWS Developer/Architect/DevOps/Big Data.
- Unix scripting/Linux configuration preferred.
- Functional knowledge of Java, Python, and Scala preferred.
Do you have a passion for solving business and technical challenges related to our Retail Clients? Do you love learning about new AWS cloud technologies? Do you want to reshape how we segment our clients so that we can offer the best services to them?
If you answered yes to these, come and join a fun, highly motivated and engaged team while learning and growing in cloud technologies. The Static, Dynamic Segmentation Product Family is developing a new cloud solution leveraging Amazon Web Services. The product teams are populating a data lake with information on various client level attributes to allow us to dynamically segment clients based on any new analytical attributes the business can identify, and allow us to make product offerings to clients based on these segments. This is something along the lines of what Amazon.com does with recommendations based on your interactions with them. This role will report into the Senior Development Chapter Lead and you will be part of the New Ways of Working (NWOW) transformation in the department that is occurring in May 2020. This position is available in Malvern, PA .
What is the scope of the Development Chapter Lead? What experience would you get from it?
- A unique blend of leadership and engineering. DCLs write code as a member of a team and also lead other developers in the same product family.
- Be part of a development team and deliver exciting products and micro-services
- Use our continuous integration, delivery pipeline for Analytics and Next Generation Architectures (NGA)
- Work with EMR, Firehose, DynamoDB, Kinesis, Sagemaker, ECS/Fargate
Collaborate with your technical lead in the architecture, design and implementation of the new products and service.
- Work closely with senior and junior developers, Big data architects, System Managers, Department Heads, members of the Chief Technology Office, AWS architects, business product owner
- Mentor junior developers in the Development Chapter.
- Create a chapter culture that empowers crew to be strong contributors on autonomous agile teams
- Establish and implement a chapter vision, strategy and goals/OKRs
What does the ideal candidate look like?
- Passionate about learning, growing and eliminating waste.
- Is a Natural leader, eager to develop others by mentoring junior developers
- Believe in the philosophy that we should automate everything - testing, deployment, configuration changes, security check etc.
- Drives innovation and thinks creatively to set and implement a strategy.
- Be an expert in Vanguard development practices, Agile development practices, Vanguard AWS development.
- Experience (or desire to) be a people manager and mentor crew in the development of a solution leveraging multiple Vanguard tools and processes.
- Be an advocate for Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) and champion development of dashboards to measure our deployment frequency, quality etc.
- Eager to adopt the New Ways of Working (NWOW) in Retail SI.
- Is an expert with Netcentric (Java, Stored procedures, databases) or AWS Cloud Technologies (DynamoDB, EC2, Streams, Lambda, Firehose, Kinesis etc), Bitbucket, Git, Servicenow.
- Experience or familiarity with Big Data technologies (Python, Scala, Spark etc.), API, Microservices, API economy would be a big plus.
- Strong communication and leadership skills
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Back to top