Development Chapter Lead in Retail
- Malvern, PA
Bring invention to investing:
Imagine working in a place where continuous improvement and innovation are celebrated and rewarded, where fast-paced, high-impact teams come together to positively drive results for one of the largest and most trusted financial services company in the world. Computerworld magazine named Vanguard #3 in its 100 Best Places to Work in IT for 2019!
The Retail IT team is searching for a Development Chapter Lead for AWS /Big Data development. Vanguard is shifting its development to leaner, faster and more innovative solutions. Business and technical team are partnering together to investigate and solve business problems using AWS as the platform. We need a Development Lead who can guide the team, is proactive and will take ownership of the technical aspects of the project. Must be forward thinking and be able to find innovative design solutions.
- Design and develop using AWS and Big Data technologies.
- Manages staff. Develops, mentors and provides guidance, training and motivation as necessary. Conducts regular one on one and staff meetings. Hires, evaluates and counsels crew. Follows corporate disciplinary procedures per established Vanguard standards as required. Sets performance standards, reviews performance, provides feedback, and recommends wage increases in accordance with all applicable Human Resources policies and procedures.
- Works with Product leaders and resource/department manager to ensure adequate development resources are in place.
- Provides advanced level IT technical lead services and direction for critical software, middleware, and/or hardware projects or products (e.g., applications, networks, communications, and client server technologies) on multiple platforms. Completes development, design, implementation, architecture design specification, and maintenance activities.
- Monitors completion of each person's deliverables. Ensures the viability of IT deliverables. Recommends development options, including design, build/buy, and vendor purchase. Conducts testing, including functionality, technical limitations, and security.
- Ensures consistency of the knowledge and skills, sharing best practices and common challenges in their area and others. Maintains current knowledge of IT development methodology, architecture design, and technical standards. Mentors IT staff as new standards are instituted, ensures their usage by team members.
- Communicates with project manager on a frequent basis. Provides realistic task and cost estimates.
- Communicates with other technical leads, IT groups, and clients so they understand the project's technical implications, dependencies, and potential conflicts. Evaluates the impacts of change requests on own/shared technologies and effectively persuades and influences others on ideas.
- Reviews and approves documentation and diagrams created by IT team members (e.g., system specifications). Writes documentation, including technical standards and processes.
- Participates in design, code, and test inspections throughout product life cycle to identify issues. Presents technical status and issues at milestone reviews.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience
- 5+ years data development (design, code, test, deploy) experience.
Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong data analysis skills
- Strong understanding of Data Ingestion and Data Lakes
Specializations that'll make an impact:
- Experience with DB2, Oracle, AWS S3, DynamoDB, and Hive.
- Experience with CI/CD pipeline tools like Bamboo, Jenkins.
- Experience with Test Driven Development.
- AWS certification is preferable: AWS Developer/Architect/DevOps/Big Data.
- Unix scripting/Linux configuration preferred.
- Functional knowledge of Java, Python, and Scala preferred.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Tamara T.Senior Leader, Talent Acquisition
Tamara and her team act as an embedded marketing team within the talent acquisition department, creating campaigns that reach the right candidates for Vanguard.
Back to top