Development Chapter Lead
Own the build the products that are changing an industry
At Vanguard, as part of Retail's New Ways of Working Transformation, the Development Chapter Lead (DCL) leads a group of individuals within a discipline or proficiency (e.g., developers), focuses on skill / people development, and continuous improvement of the overall Chapter discipline. This includes developing its members through peer-coaching, training and mentoring, ensuring that teams have the capabilities needed to succeed, and building knowledge and enabling standard methodology sharing within their Chapter. It will impact the way the world invests! Are you ready to make it count?
In this role you will
- Develop and manage organizational expertise in their/her area of knowledge ◦Define professional standards / work methodology within the Chapter competence
- Serves as a guide in the area where they/she is the person with highest level of knowledge
- Drives consistency of the knowledge and skills of the Chapter, sharing best practices and common challenges in their/her cell and others
- Manage and develop capabilities within their Chapter through coaching, training, and mentoring
- Define and evolve capability building roadmap for Chapter members at both the individual and aggregate levels
- Develop Chapter members over time to create "T-shaped" profiles while steering development to match organizational demand of capability and skill
- Manages progression planning for Chapter members and coordinates with them on their long-term professional development
- Manages structure and people of the Chapter, evaluating needs of the different teams and organizing support ◦Performance manage and evaluate Chapter members
- Resolve organizational issues of keeping the Chapter members at work, including planning and accounting for absences
- Supports HR in seeking and obtaining talent
- As a player-coach, spends ~60% of their time practicing the discipline as an individual contributor on a team (none of their Chapter members should be on their team)
Bring invention to investing
You'll continuously deliver imaginative solutions that also satisfy business needs. Your fresh ideas will directly impact one of our strategic focus areas and help us redefine the world of mutual funds. Your analytical approach to problem-solving, underpinned by strong interpersonal skills, will make you a valuable member of a reciprocal team that shares ideas and solves problems in new ways. And at every stage of the process you'll enjoy many opportunities to deepen your knowledge and widen your experience.
What it takes
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience
- 5+ years data development (design, code, test, deploy) experience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong data analysis skills
Specializations that'll make an impact:
- Experience with DB2, Oracle, AWS S3, DynamoDB, and Hive.
- Experience with CI/CD pipeline tools like Bamboo, Jenkins.
- Experience with Test Driven Development.
- AWS certification is preferable: AWS Developer/Architect/DevOps/Big Data.
- Unix scripting/Linux configuration preferred.
- Functional knowledge of Java, Python, and Scala preferred.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Back to top