Development Chapter Lead
- Malvern, PA
Are you someone that wants an opportunity to lead a team while continuing to sharpen your technical skills? Are you motivated to see others succeed in their careers by coaching and up-skilling? Do you want this opportunity NOW rather than wait until a senior grade level to get the people leadership experience? Look no further! The Retail Innovative Business Solutions (R.I.B.S) department in Retail Systems is looking for a strong leader to coach the developers in the Regulated Output family that supports critical business products like Cost basis, Fund mail, Tax, Statements, Confirms, to name a few. The player side of this role will involve development opportunities in providing cloud solutions that leverage AWS technologies.
The DCL role was created as a new "player-coach" position. DCLs write code as a member of a team and also lead other developers in the same product family. This allows for senior developers to gain leadership and technical experience in the same position. This unique role provides the opportunity to:
- Create a chapter culture that empowers crew to be strong contributors on autonomous Agile teams
- Develop crew to build technical expertise through focused and relevant coaching
- Establish and implement a chapter vision, strategy and goals/OKRs.
Responsibilities as a Player:
- Provides expert level IT technical lead services and direction for critical software and middleware on AWS Cloud platform.
- Provides technical expertise in systems, technical tools, modeling, external interfaces, and other technical areas.
- Completes complex development, design, implementation, architecture design specification, and maintenance activities in Java, Spring Boot, Angular and AWS technologies.
- Ensures the viability of IT deliverables. Recommends development options, including design, build/buy, and vendor purchase. Approves the team's technical deliverables. Conducts testing, including functionality, technical limitations, and security.
Responsibilities as a Coach
- Manage and develop a team, including the direction, evaluation, selection, configuration, implementation, and integration of new and existing technologies and tools.
- Manage and develop a team of developers.
- Develops, mentors and provides guidance, training and motivation as necessary. Conducts regular one on one and staff meetings.
- Hires, evaluates and counsels crew.
- Follows corporate disciplinary procedures per established Vanguard standards as required.
- Sets performance standards, reviews performance, provides feedback, and recommends wage increases in accordance with all applicable Human Resources policies and procedures.
- Expert knowledge of one or more development tools and programming languages: Java, Spring Boot, Microservices and Angular
- Experience with AWS Cloud Development is highly preferred.
- Full product life cycle
- Wide range of technologies within technical specialty - from state of the art to legacy systems
- Demonstrated experience in technical leadership and acting as a mentor and coach for developers on the team.
- Strong analysis skills.
- Experience or ability to quickly learn AWS (S3, DynamoDB, EMR, EC2, Storage Gateway, IAM, Streams)
- Experience using CI/CD pipeline tools like Bamboo, Jenkins.
- Passion for Test Driven Development.
- AWS certification is preferable: AWS Developer/Architect/DevOps/Big Data.
- Functional knowledge of Python, Scala and Java preferred.
1. Weekday coverage: Regularly scheduled 5-day week, Mon. - Fri., normal business hours
2. Remote and off hours support: See additional information for the specific requirements for this posting.
3. On call: See additional information for the specific requirements for this posting.
4. Travel: For Charlotte, NC-based staff, limited travel to Valley Forge, PA is required for new employee orientation, project kickoff meetings, and training.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
1. Works on multiple, medium size projects or one large project with timelines of 6 - 15 months
2. Works on dissimilar technologies (e.g., applications), for multiple platforms and business areas, for critical systems with the largest numbers of interfaces and users
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Back to top