Vanguard, one of the world’s largest investment management companies and a recognized employer of choice, seeks a Database Administrator to provide entry-level database administrator (DBA) services for Production, test, and development databases across multiple platforms. To provide entry-level physical database design, creation, and maintenance services.
Provides entry-level level DBA services for Production, test, and development databases across multiple platforms. Works closely with developers and logical data modelers to perform physical database design for business applications/ databases with an intermediate number of interfaces and users. May also work on small to mid-size, defined assignments on large scale, business-critical systems.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understands the business requirements for applications and implements supporting database technical capabilities
- Helps to resolve issues elevated from staff with less experience.
- Performs database administration for mid-tier server databases, including installations, upgrades, configurations, and patching. Performs day to day monitoring and optimizing, and provides developer support for creation of databases, tables, and indexes. Builds backup and recovery jobs.
- Maintains database logs and bug lists.
- Administers and maintains the production, test, and development databases.
- Reviews application designs for compliance with production acceptance requirements.
- Complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established client service levels. Complies with Information Security policies and procedures. Verifies deliverables meet Information Security requirements.
- Participates in special projects and performs other related duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Must have a minimum two years general business experience and one year experience as a DBA, data modeling, business systems analyst, or development experience. SQL Server is required.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong analysis and problem solving skills.
- Working knowledge of the following DBA practices and concepts: database backup & recovery, database performance & tuning, database monitoring, and maintenance.
- Working knowledge of one or more IT platforms: Microsoft Windows NT; UNIX;
- Working knowledge of current versions of the following products: Oracle; Microsoft SQL Server; UNIX Shell Scripting; SQL/PL SQL; Lotus Notes; Microsoft Office Suite.
- Familiarity with designing databases and data modeling concepts.
MS SQL Server Skills:
1-2 years MS SQL Server DBA experience (versions 2008/2012/2014) running on Window clusters and/or VMWare
Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) on 2008, 2012, or 2014 is a plus
Working knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 2008, 2012, or 2014.
PowerShelll scripting, Database Replication, Database Mirroring or Always on
Having someone that is good at Performance/Tuning MS SQL Server and backup/recovery is required.
Working knowledge or willingness to learn Oracle needed.
Vanguard does not provide sponsorship for this position.
Back to top