Data Scientist II
To inform and educate Vanguard about clients and prospects through descriptive, diagnostic, predictive and prescriptive analytic insights.
Duties and Responsibilities
Leads and executes analytic projects to provide insight into client needs and behavior, supporting marketing and client servicing decisions. Serves as the analytics expert on cross functional teams for large strategic initiatives. Serves as own Project Manager and Relationship Manager for smaller projects.
Engages with project sponsors and stakeholders to understand each business question. Probes for hidden questions and goals. Brings structure to each request and translates requirements into an analytic approach.
Acquires structured and unstructured data and prepares it for analysis. Investigates, extracts, cleans, transforms, QCs and manages data using SQL and Base SAS programming techniques. Identifies and diagnoses data inconsistencies and errors, forages to fill data gaps and blazes new data trails.
Analyzes data to describe client behavior and preferences, understand channel usage, diagnose client experience problems, size marketing opportunity, target clients for treatment and measure the impact of marketing and servicing initiatives. Identifies and utilizes appropriate analytic methods and specialized tools to generate insights, answer the business questions and fulfill project objectives. Seeks out innovative approaches and techniques.
Prepares and delivers insight presentations and action recommendations. Communicates complex material in layman's terms. Guides business partners on the interpretation, implications and use of analytic results. Consults on statistical problems (test design, significance testing, confidence intervals, weighting).
Develops and applies domain knowledge of Vanguard's businesses and data to shape the analytic road map.
Contributes to the growth of the analytic community. Mentors analysts.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as required.
- Undergraduate degree in an analytically oriented major, such as statistics, mathematics, economics or an applied social science. Graduate degree preferred. Academic training in applied statistics preferred.
- A minimum of five years general experience and five years relevant professional experience in analytical roles.
- Knowledge of financial services and marketing.
- Able to take disparate data and understand it, process it, extract value from it, visualize it and communicate it.
- Strong SAS and SQL programming skills. Understanding of data structures.
- Logical problem solving skills.
- Experience gathering requirements, developing analytic approaches, and applying quantitative methods to harvest insights.
- Industry experience applying statistical techniques (modeling, regression methods, decision trees, forecasting, clustering, time series).
- Solid Excel and PowerPoint skills.
- Strong communicator of complex concepts and analysis, able to handle a variety of audience knowledge levels. Data visualization and storytelling skills.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Shelley produces creative recruitment marketing campaigns in order to share Vanguard’s brand, mission, events and culture with new talent in the industry.
Back to top